breeding calvus

faiz

hi everyone,

i have just had my first lot of calvus eggs and im not sure which 1 is the female. i have taken everyone out execpt the female i think is the mother. i have a colony of about 5 fish. i breed them in a barnacle and when i saw there was 2 females in the barnacle. so i cought all the fish besides the (AGGRESIVE male that tried to bite my finger of) and the 2 females in the barnacle. so i left the barnacle and 1 female swam out so i cought her and put her in another tank with the rest of the colony. now when i go to the front of the tank the female swims in to the barnacle and turns around like she is trying to protect the eggs in the barnacle. im still not sure if this is the right female.

at the start when i thought the male was starting to get a bit aggressive i didnt know what was going on. so i looked in the barnacle and there was eggs and a female in there. i saw the female that i think is the mother swiming next to the male not even close to the barnacle. then the female that i think is the mother went close to the barnacle and went into the barnacle and was trying to get the other female out. after a while the female that i think is not the mother swam out so i cought it. does anyone know if the female that i left in the tank is the mother???

thanks for all your help.

Can i ask why you removed the adults? Perhaps it would be better to leave the colony as it is, the parents will guard the shell and any eggs or fry. Just remove the fry as they become free swimming.

Lol mate. How can we tell what female is which?

Incase they breed next time what I'd recommend you do is leave everything be. The female who lays the eggs will guard them. Perhaps adding several smaller barnicles will help the female have distinguisged territories. Wait til the fry are starting the swim around abit and then pick the whole barnicle up and place in either a large fry saver or a seperate tank with indentical water values.

Sam.

hi,

i moved the other adults because i wanted to leave only a breeding pair in the tank.

i saw 1 fish swim into the barnacle when there was already a nother fish in there that i thought was the mother.

i cought the mother from the other tank that i took out thinking it wasnt the mother and put her back in the tank with the male and took the other female out.

thanks alot for your help!!!!

Hi mate

I may be able to help you a bit.

What i did when i had my calvus was to leave them all in the same tank. After around 14 days once the fry were swimming a little between 1- -14 days i would transfer the whole barnicle or shell or what ever into a tank with the same water or system or parameters as what you breeders are in and let the fry slowely come out for themselves once all the fry swim out themselves then i would remove the barnicle or shell and feed the fry on small daphnia or bb shrimp.

If you need any more help ask me i will try and help you out mate. This worked for me and i had alot of success with very few deaths of fry.99% success rate.

Archived