OT: Ningaloo reef diving & whalesharks

Skippy

I recently spent a few days in Exmouth, WA enjoying the undersea delights of Ningaloo Reef, Lighthouse Bay and the Navy Pier (which does live up to its reputation as one of the best shore dives in the world).

8 metre Whaleshark. I've submitted photos of this guy to whaleshark.org, they use the unique pattern of spots on the left flank to identify individual sharks, sort of like finger prints, and then they track the shark's movements.

IPB Image

Red cod

IPB Image

Juvenile Emperor Angelfish

IPB Image

Coral cod

IPB Image

Yellow lined Snapper

IPB Image

Thread-finned something or other

IPB Image

Wobbegong

IPB Image

Nudibranch that I haven't bothered to look up yet

IPB Image

Flatworm that I haven't bothered to look up yet

IPB Image

Fish that you don't want to upset

IPB Image

Amazing photos.

Do you go diving over there regularly? I'd love to go diving sometime! Just a question of whether its here or in africa first lol

I guess it could be Exmouth West Africa at a stretch...... :blink;)

As stated in the original post, Exmouth is in WA (Western Australia), around half way between Geraldton and Port Hedland.

I guess it could be Exmouth West Africa at a stretch...... :blink;)

As stated in the original post, Exmouth is in WA (Western Australia), around half way between Geraldton and Port Hedland.

Here meaning Australia... Meaning diving with marine fish.... but anyway.

Hey Moonie, if you love fish and you're keen about diving, you should take the "plunge" and go get some lessons and your certificate. You won't regret putting the effort in.....Andy (Vis) should be able to give you some advice.

It is seriuosly one of the best things fish or marine lovers can do!!

:confused: Yeah, Exmouth West Australia not west Africa. It's about 12.5 hours drive from Perth or more if you stick to the speed limit

Do you go diving over there regularly? I'd love to go diving sometime! Just a question of whether its here or in africa first lol

This was my first time diving at Ningaloo reef and it won't be the last, easily the best diving I've done in Australia. If you want to go diving definately start here and get some experience before you spend $$$ on an overseas dive trip especially to a place like Africa where the dive gear can be :shock: questionable.

Beautiful shots Mike. Did you take all those? They are really nice.

Thanks Bruce, my wife and I swap the camera between us underwater so it can be hard to keep track of who took which photo but I think all of these are mine except the yellow-lined snapper which is hers.

Archived