Water movement

Trekrider

Hi, I'm new to the group and also to keeping Cichlids. I have kept general community fish in a 6' tank for a couple of years and have just changed my 3' tank over to Cichlids.

My question is not really about filtration, more about movement of water.

I have an external cannister filter (700lph) which seems to be fine but I have been told that Cichlids like faster moving water and have been advised to also fit a 700lph internal filter primarily to move the water.

Can anyone say if this is good advice?

Thanks,

howdy! wecome to ACE.

whats the width and height of your 3 footer?

whats the distance between your canister to the top of your tank?

how many cichlids are in the 3 footer? what species and their sizes?

you would probably get a more accurate feedback if you provide the above info.

i breed africans from lake malawi and i dont worry about movement so much with them, but i have some cichlids from the congo river basin which like fair movement and well oxygenated water, so it all depends on what cichlids your keeping.

just make sure the filtration is always more than needed and i find this provides enough movement for the tank.

HTH

regards Brett

howdy! wecome to ACE.

whats the width and height of your 3 footer?

whats the distance between your canister to the top of your tank?

how many cichlids are in the 3 footer? what species and their sizes?

you would probably get a more accurate feedback if you provide the above info.

Thanks for the welcome, the tank is 15" x 18" (150 litres). The cannister is literally just below the tank. I have 6 Lake Malawi Cichlids to cycle the tank (2 x E. Yellow, 2 x E. Blue and 2 x Marble Peacocks) all are approx 4 cm.

i breed africans from lake malawi and i dont worry about movement so much with them, but i have some cichlids from the congo river basin which like fair movement and well oxygenated water, so it all depends on what cichlids your keeping.

just make sure the filtration is always more than needed and i find this provides enough movement for the tank.

HTH

regards Brett

Thanks Brett,

Sounds like I could be OK with my Malawi Cichlids then.

Regards,

Archived