Sandstone in aquariums

MOPARDEVIL

Hi guys,

I have a heap of bush rock sandstone that I have been finding in my backyard. I have been using it as garden edging. There is some really nice looking rocks there. Are these ok for use in an aquarium? Are there any types of sandstone that you should keep away from. Does it alter water chemistry in any way eg ph etc

Thanks

Greg

Hi guys,

I have a heap of bush rock sandstone that I have been finding in my backyard. I have been using it as garden edging. There is some really nice looking rocks there. Are these ok for use in an aquarium? Are there any types of sandstone that you should keep away from. Does it alter water chemistry in any way eg ph etc

Thanks

Greg

it be alright just make sure you wash it before you put it in and dont think sandstone effects ph levels

Sandstone is perfectly safe to use, I have sheets of it siliconed into the back of a few tanks as a background - it does not affect the pH.

The only worry I'd have is you've mentioned that it is used for garden edging at the moment - if there has ever been roundup or similar near them it isn't a hot idea to use them.

I've used sandstone in a couple of tanks as backgrounds, and never had a drama (except for the weight). I agree with Ash with stone's previous use. Due to it's porosity, it'd be a cast iron pain in the backside to clean any chemical contaminants out of it.