Peps OK with Bnose?

glo

Hi,

I threw a young pair of bnose in with my peps a few months ago as I was growing up my peps in a 4ft tank and thought I may as well breed a few bnose whilst the peps grow up. All seems to be going OK but given the peps are more shy than the bnose, I was wondering if the bnose will out compete the peps or are more aggressive than the peps. Can these 2 types of catties be kept happily together and will they breed together? If not, what can I replace the bnose with?

Thanks

Glo

Hiya Glo, I have housed both together before but only as Juvies.

Technically they will cross breed both being Ancistrus ssp., however I find the pepps slower to reach sexual maturity.

I have seen a gent selling off ABN X O-spot, not worth the bags they would be in IMHO, for now though you should be fine, in the chance they they did cross, while it is up to you, you could always cull the offspring or keep them yourself as a display fish.

Just to complicate things though, your common bristles are likely cross breeeds too, though they have reached a status of acceptance as ancisrtus sp. 3...many types of bn made them up before folks really knew about all the ssp. and capture locations etc.

Regards,

Brett

I have 3x adult normal bristlenose, 1x adult albino bristlenose, and 2x semi adult peppermint bristlenose in a 6ft community tank and they are all going very well. The peppermints have been in there since they were around 4-5cm and never had any problems

As YAL05t said i would not recommend putting adults together if you want to keep the fry as they may cross breed, It is up to you though.

Matt

They will cross breed for sure.

There is some you see in the shops these days not many spots or white on

tails & fins.

They live together fine.

:blink:blink:blink

Am I reading this right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is everyone saying that a common bristlenose will crossbreed with a peppermint?

:confused::confused:

Karl.

Sure will Karl, though there are a number of alleged species about which could answer dobbins comment.

In a nut shell there is no reason one sp of Ancistrus would not cross with another, just like the Aulonocara fiasco.

Regards,

Brett

Thanks all for the comments. I plan to remove the bnose once the peps are ready to breed as the bnose are only there because I wanted some action in the 4ft tank whilst growing up the peps to breed. Given I have heard the peps take over 2 years to breed, I have to wait another 12 - 18 months.

Since I have had the peps for about 8 months, some of them have grown quite large to about 6-8cm from 3cm. Surprised at how fast some of them have grown given they take so long to mature.

So long as the peps do well with a breeding pair of bnose, I'll keep the bnose there for another year or so (or until I get sick of selling the babies or find something else to replace).

Sorry but :

"LOL"

peppermint will not crossbreed with any other bristlenose.

peppermint longfin would have been made years ago if it could.

lol.

They're not cichlids, I would explain why they cant interbreed, but its all been said before. seiously,

leave them in there, no dramas mate. they will be fine together

Karl.

Sure will Karl, though there are a number of alleged species about which could answer dobbins comment.

In a nut shell there is no reason one sp of Ancistrus would not cross with another, just like the Aulonocara fiasco.

Regards,

Brett

Sorry to tell you mate but it has happened and possibly will again.

I have only just discovered my lone male abn who I had not seen in a while fanning eggs, the only other ancistrus in the tank are peps.

I have taken him and his spawn out and placed in a fry saver, I will allow them to hatch if viable but they will not leave here.

I also heard about it here:

http://planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.p...ncistrus+hybrid

Ok.

lets not haggle over this poor guys post,

you should just post pictures of your albino-peppermint crossbreed, and we'll talk there :)

This and that post have officially (in my mind)

become proof that you cant believe everything you read.

i just wish all those people not saying anything would back me up :)

starting to feel a little "twighlight zone"

lol

Okay dempsey, the results are in and I will meet you half way, I have come to believe that it is plausible not viable, I got some pics of the male ABN fanning the eggs and had noticed they were getting a little milky, this afternoon they had been booted.

Some had fungused and floated and fatboy was eating the half dozen or so left on the bottom.

I have a bit more detailed account over on pf.

Regards,

Brett.

Very interesting, I was always told and always thought that they would cross breed. I had a search around the internet as well and couldn't find any accounts of peppermints breeding with normal bristlenose.

In the back of my head i still believe that there is a rare chance they could cross breed but i am leaning more towards it is very unlikely or not possible.

This post is really about letting poor Glo know that its ok to leave he's fish where they are and that its not going to cause a problem.

the pepps are a different version of ancistrus.

A key feature, which most will notice, is the spikes on the side of the head which pop out all the time with all those bristlenose...

the peppermint doesnt have that, thats just 1 feature though of not being the same species, they are genetically different.

Its been talked about alot, theres alot of panaque species, cant cross 2 of them. I guess its similar.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't bet my house on it that Pepps can't breed with commons. I have kept both together without issues but they weren't breeding size pepps. If your'e breeding pepps I would keep them by themself.

God Forbid that someone would try and breed Pepps/ commons just to prove a point. :shock:

I have heard it has occurred in Australia. Maybe an urban legend maybe not!

And a Lab is not a Ps or a Peacock or a E/Blue for that matter but they will breed with each other!!!!

But yes Glo if they are not breeding size they are fine if they are breeding size they with live together fine as well!!!

The rest well try it and see.

hi,

I'd consider the likelihood of cross breeding to be very small.

I'd be absolutely amazed if there haven't been a few serious attempts at cross breeding with bn just to see what happens with the mutations like long-fin,calico or albinism mixed with peppermint and if there had been any success we'd be seeing them on the market. If it can't be achieved intentionally then the likelihood of it occuring accidentally has got to be pretty slim.

That said; I'd be careful ramping up the numbers of common bn too much in the tank. Peppermints are more nocturnal than common bn so unless you're in the practice of feeding in the dark you'll be retarding their growth if the commons beat 'em to all the food

Agree with you

but Glo is asking if they can be kept together

What you say is a good point as they are a lot differant to kept

Pepps like a differant diet than common as well as their more nocturnal habits

But in a display as long as you feed them at lights out

You should have no probs.

Archived