red brasiliensis

hi all

I have bred red brasiliensis and a comment was made to me that they are a hybrid cichlid.

Being fairly new to the hobby i dont know if they are.I think they might be part of the geophagus family (I THINK)

(dont worry if they are hybrids they will become fish food fast)

Also wondering there correct name as when i sell them i would like to use the correct name

CHEERS WILD4CICHLIDS

http://picasaweb.google.com/gordonfamily0/...347003320385490use there correct title.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gordonfamily0/...347020500254690

http://picasaweb.google.com/gordonfamily0/...347046270058482

http://picasaweb.google.com/gordonfamily0/...347059154960386

here are a few photos of them and one of my community tank

There is a red Brasiliensis, it's called 'Geophagus' sp. "Bahia Red".

Profile: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=456

However your fish doesn't quite look like one. I'm in two minds as to what it looks like.

Either a SA cichlid belonging to the Gymnogeophagus group, or a cross between a GT and something like A. diadema.

As a side note, many SA cichlids often show stress colours almost all the time when kept in an African cichlid tank. Mainly becuase the PH, GH and KH are much higher than what there bodies are used to. Also, New World cichlids and African cichlids communicate in very different ways, in that they do not understand each others body language and this can lead to conflict.

hi all

i have done some investigating and found a web page on the CICHLID FORUMS

It shows a photo of a female juvenile GEOPHAGUS SP. RED BAHIA BRASILIENSIS and its a spitting image of what i have bred it also mentions that they can bred at a young age before getting there full red colour.

So know i know there not a hybrid and the correct title for them

cheers wild4cichlids :thumbup:

the web page is titled cichlid forums and is under ( what did i buy.) pictures of them is down the bottom of the page.

ps I can now say i have some geophagus sp red bahia brasiliensis fryat 3cm if anyone is interested.

hi all

i have done some investigating and found a web page on the CICHLID FORUMS

It shows a photo of a female juvenile GEOPHAGUS SP. RED BAHIA BRASILIENSIS and its a spitting image of what i have bred it also mentions that they can bred at a young age before getting there full red colour.

So know i know there not a hybrid and the correct title for them

cheers wild4cichlids :thumbup:

the web page is titled cichlid forums and is under ( what did i buy.) pictures of them is down the bottom of the page.

ps I can now say i have some geophagus sp red bahia brasiliensis fryat 3cm if anyone is interested.

:roll I can guarantee they are not Bahia Reds,as for what you have it's very hard to tell from your pics but i would also say stressed Brasiliensis(as Briztoon has stated wrong tank mates/water parameters will cause variations in colours/patterns).

hi all

I have bred red brasiliensis and a comment was made to me that they are a hybrid cichlid.

Being fairly new to the hobby i dont know if they are.I think they might be part of the geophagus family (I THINK)

(dont worry if they are hybrids they will become fish food fast)

Also wondering there correct name as when i sell them i would like to use the correct name

CHEERS WILD4CICHLIDS

http://picasaweb.google.com/gordonfamily0/...347003320385490use there correct title.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gordonfamily0/...347020500254690

http://picasaweb.google.com/gordonfamily0/...347046270058482

http://picasaweb.google.com/gordonfamily0/...347059154960386

here are a few photos of them and one of my community tank

They are DEFINITELY NOT Bahia Reds. The Bahia Red is basically a white colour with a red head and red fins. They are also a smaller fish not getting anywhere near the size of the normal Brasiliensis. If you follow the link you will see what a Red Bahia is-http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/bahia.male.jpg

If you believe what you read on the net, there are nearly 30 different variations in South America of the Brasiliensis so our red variety could be a genuine strain, lets hope so. The more varieties of Geos available in Australia the better.

I have personally kept these red varieties in the past and they have the blue colour of a normal brasiliensis on their body just waiting to appear when they are stressed. They are more likely to be a cross between a Brasiliensis and an Iporangensis which looks very very similar to what we have here but is only a small grower, up to 15cm where ours grow much larger.

Still, even if they are a hybrid or a cross, I will always have room for a pair in my tanks.

Glenn

They are also a smaller fish not getting anywhere near the size of the normal Brasiliensis.

Not nit picking or anything, but Ruurds fish in the species photo http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=456 reached 11 inches before he sold it. If I recall that was november last year. It was the dominate male in a group of 3 males. He ended up moving it to it's own tank becuase it was destroying his aquascaping, not to mention beating up it's tank mates.

I've seen a male Iporangensis at 8 inches. Nice fish, just not my thing. Propper geos, dwarf acaras and apistos.

hi all

i have keep investigating on this as i feel no one has given me a positive anwser on what they are.

but everyone can tell me what they are not. :confused::confused::confused:

i recieved a pm telling me too go on the trading post and search for fish for sale in sydney.

so i did and come across a gentlemen at castle hill selling red bahia.

so, i called him and payed him a visit

and his fry are the same as mine

yes the parents are white body with red fins but the juvieniles are the same as mine he mention that they wont change colour until around one year old and that it was unusual that mine have bred at a young age but was not surprised at the small number of eggs that she layed.

everyone who said they were not red bahia PLEASE check out the trading post site as he has photos of his fry on there along with photos of his breeding pair

please get back too me after checking out the trading post and looking at the photos of red bahia fry

CHEERS WILD4CICHLIDS

PS..Also if there were so stressed out they wouldn,t have bred............

:roll:wallbash: We have told you what they are,they are Brasiliensis,nothing more nothing less. Bras's can and do differ in colouration. :yes: I for one have not seen proof that Bahia Red are in this country,if they are they are very well hidden.

I will ask friends in the U.S if i can use some of their pics of a young Bahia Red and then the sub-adult coloured Bahia Red so you can clearly see the difference.Also i will try and get some pics of locally caught(wild Australian :dntknw: ) :blink Brasiliensis so you can see the major colour variations in these too.

FINALLY THE END TO THE QUEASTION

THEY ARE GEOPHAGUS IPORANGENSIS (((((((((((wrong again))))))))))))))))))

I APPLOGIZE FOR CALLING THEM RED BAHIA AS THEY ARE NOT

PS.. I HOPE YOUR HEAD GETS BETTER CHEVGUY AND I HOPE YOU CATCH SOMETHING BRIZTOON ON YOUR FISHING TRIP............. :thumb

THEY ARE GEOPHAGUS IPORANGENSIS

PS.. I HOPE YOUR HEAD GETS BETTER CHEVGUY AND I HOPE YOU CATCH SOMETHING BRIZTOON ON YOUR FISHING TRIP............. :thumb

Finally we have someone in this country who is an expert on Geo's. The rest of us have had to rely on others in Europe (Weidner etc) or so-called experts in America like Jeff Rapps to try to identify our Geo's when we have an expert here who can positively identify fish without point of capture or any other of those things we all thought were necessary.

Perhaps we Geo keepers should all in future just call our fish what we would like them to be and not worry about what they really are. It would save a lot of time on the forums and we could all be the proud owners of fish that have not been imported yet.

Glenn.

THEY ARE GEOPHAGUS IPORANGENSIS

Finally we have someone in this country who is an expert on Geo's. The rest of us have had to rely on others in Europe (Weidner etc) or so-called experts in America like Jeff Rapps to try to identify our Geo's when we have an expert here who can positively identify fish without point of capture or any other of those things we all thought were necessary.

Perhaps we Geo keepers should all in future just call our fish what we would like them to be and not worry about what they really are. It would save a lot of time on the forums and we could all be the proud owners of fish that have not been imported yet.

Glenn.

all i can do is search the web for a fry that looks like mine.

thanks mate (i admit defeat) i now know why people leave this hobby in droves :zipit:

They look like brasiliensis to me but how old is your ones in the photo ??

Look like fry to me as these guys grow at least 20/25 cm.

They may breed at half that size.

Why does everyone always say a fish posted is a cross? Hybird??

Bloodly hard to tell without seeing them and photos can look not much like the live fish.

They look like plain old Brasiliensis to me,

Nice fish when larger.

FIRST THINGS FIRST

Coming home today and checking my emails i find two pm from ace forum. So i look into them and find out all about this crap for the first time.

My name is Gerard and my username is wild4cichlids

The post your reading was not posted by me.It was posted by my 18y old brother inlaw using my username.

Much to my discussed

This topic is nothing but bullcraP the person involved knows nothing about fish.

To make mattters worst the photo,s posted are from my personnal web album and should never had been used.

I cant believe what is written above and how he has asked you guys for help then just kept on putting more bullcraP after bullcraP on here.

to all involved i can only apologize for the crap you have put up with.

I bought these fish for him after i gave him my old 4ft tank to get him started and a week ago two bred with each other and produced a massive 6 eggs which 5 hatched and he went nuts.

Wanting to know what there scientific name was

I told him that there are a brasiliensis and that there was heaps and heaps of different spiecies so to pin point a exact bred would be too hard.

And i think this is were his pea brain has come up with this bright idea.

wHO ASK,S FOR HELP THEN PUT,S craP ON THE PEOPLE THAT HELP YOU..

My blood boils to think he also involved innocent people like commenting that he went and seen a guy about them when that is more bullcraP. By mentioning castle hill i feel he replyed he spoke to the guy i bought them from as he lives close to there and he knew where i bought them from .

This guy was great we chatted and i bought some nice healthy fish from him so to you i also apologize if you where to read this and be offended.

Anyone who got any pm,s from me in the last 4 days i know nothing about what was said to you.

I only know of two because the dumb prick couldn,t erase them as they where sent after he switched off my computer.

IM LEAVING IT THERE AS IM GETTING MORE AND MORE wee wEEED OFF ABOUT IT.

Im leaving it there as i dont know what else to say SORRY TO ALL WHO WASTED THERE TIME REPLYING

Archived