Orca 80L Tank

Timm

Hi All,

i've owned this Orca for about 6 months but havent used it because i was painting inside the house etc, anyway i originally was planning a SW setup but thought i will give Cichlids a go first.

Only mods so far is an extra 50/50 24w light running off a nelson elec ballast (out of energy saver globe) i may change this to an all white globe suited to freshwater.

I have some white LEDs which i may colour blue and make a moon light but that will be down the track.

Filtration is standard with sponge, noodles and bioballs (any suggestions?) heater is in the compartment with the pump which i wouldnt mind upgrading to a higher flowing quiter one (again any suggestions?)

Enough rambling, here is some startup pics.

one of these

IPB Image

Cut it open to get this (size of 50c piece)

IPB Image

then you can have this

IPB Image

then it looks like this

IPB Image

Water going in

IPB Image

Water in with pool filter sand

IPB Image

Settling

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sand

IPB Image

I would like to get some caves happening in the background and some shells in the front, texas holey rock would be great but hard to get.

the fish i want are from the cookie cutter guide,

Neolamprologus leleupi - 1 pair

'Lamprologus' occelatus - 1 trio

just where to find them...

i will update when i have more progress

Thanks

Timm

Timm,

I have one of this type all in one tank and wondering what do I need to mod the light like yours? It has an internal ballest in it can I just chop and change using the existing ballest?

Forgot to add nice looking MOD...lol

Cheers

Hilton

hey hilton,

You add a new ballast out of the energy saver globe and wire it up to a new globe, i will find the link of where i found the info.

I will probably change the original ballast to one of the electric ones because i think they run alot cooler and take up a heap less space.

found the links

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...t=cheap+ballast

http://www.nanotank.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...hlight=jbj+cube

Nice tank mate!

If i were you i'd Nano reef it! Haha.

cheers,

Richard.

Hey Rich,

Yeah i will eventually do that when i have more time to play around with it.

but for now i'll start with cichlids :)

Added some rocks, a mixture of granite, sandstone, serpentine & some other type i cant remember what its called though (bottom right whiteish one)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Left

IPB Image

Middle

IPB Image

Right

IPB Image

now i know why there is so many Aquascaping questions, its not easy. I dont know if i will keep it like this yet.

also i got the rocks for free from the local nursery

Nice mods on the lighting. A quick tip: get the same type of rocks, look heaps better.

yeah i agree im not happy with it, i wanted slate but cant seem to find any. also need some shells.

Nice mods on the lighting. A quick tip: get the same type of rocks, look heaps better.

yeah i agree im not happy with it, i wanted slate but cant seem to find any. also need some shells.

you can get some texas holey rock from addicted 2 cichlids

you can get some texas holey rock from addicted 2 cichlids

I originally wanted that but its so hard to find, i will shoot him an email and see if he has any

he got some advertisd on his website for 70 bucks

http://www.addicted2cichlids.com.au/new_page_2.htm

its a lil Bit pricey, i'll see if i can find slate in the meantime. i think i might like the darker rocks better than the light holey rock.

Stuck on fish though, i was going to get occies and leluipi but ive read that occies are nasty. i want something colourful but interesting... hmmmmmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tank mate!

If i were you i'd Nano reef it! Haha.

cheers,

Richard.

Looks like im now reefing it.

The mrs likes the marine fish better :)

stay tuned

Way to go mate! Let us know how you go with everything. Theres quite a load of mods to the filter etc for these tanks as you know on the MASA forum. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Cheers,

Richard.

I will be starting shortly.

I have made an LED moon light i am yet to fit and i will have to decide on substrate (crushed marble etc) and whether i am going to use ASW or NSW.

i will probably try NSW from swansea first.

Archived