Large air pumps

dazza

Hi all, want to know the pro`s and cons of various air pumps.

eg running time before repair, cost of replacement parts.

I`m looking at 30 tanks in my new fishroom, mainly 2/3 footers.

One of the sponsers has three types advertised.

High volume airpump eg LP60

Air blower eg HG-090

Electomagnetic air pump eg ACO-004

If anyone has experience these pumps or could suggest other pumps that would be suitable for my application.

Thanks Darren

As with most things, it's luck of the draw. I've had an LP60 running for 5 years now 24/7 and it hasn't missed a beat. Others with the same pump have had diaphragms split after a year.

I tried a large electro magnetic pump first, but changed to the LP60 after seeing how hot the electro pump got. I thought it was going to catch alight :lol2:

Compare running costs (wattage) vs efficiency vs output vs price too.

One of the sponsers has three types advertised.

High volume airpump eg LP60

Air blower eg HG-090

Electomagnetic air pump eg ACO-004

If anyone has experience these pumps or could suggest other pumps that would be suitable for my application.

Thanks Darren

hi Darren

stick with the diaphram type pumps, they are easier and cheaper to repair.

electromagnetics are usualy noisier and tend to run hot, after a melt down, repair is not an option

Air blowers, i hope you have understanding neigbours :lol3: they sound like F111's warming up.

i have an LP100 and a Hi Blow 100

most ppl run them inside. mine have been inside for 5yrs with no drama's.

mine are on a shelf, 2mts above the floor, just higher than the top tanks. this is mainly to prevent back flow should the power go off. but you can use non return valves for this as well.

i think they stay warm enough to eliminate any moisture probs.

Thanks guys, looks like the LP60 the way to go.

Another quick question, is it better to run the pump outside the room to avoid the moisture in the fishroom ?

G'day

Do your self a favour and buy a Hi Blow. They are expensive, but so are the fish in your room. I have one that I still use and it is over 25 years old.

cya Matthew

Will try the inside then.

$700 for a HP60 is a bit out of my reach.

I could buy 2 LP60, 1 as backup and still be less than 1/2 price.

Either way I will get a repair kit at the same time.

I have mine outside, but only due to the heat my fishroom retains. It's made from coolroom panels, and doesn't let much heat in or out, so in summer, the room would get far too hot with the large pump inside.

Plus, there is no natural airflow into the room, so pumping air in from outside eliminates the requirement to "air out" the room and lose the retained heat.

It's also quieter in the room ;)

I have mine outside, but only due to the heat my fishroom retains. It's made from coolroom panels, and doesn't let much heat in or out, so in summer, the room would get far too hot with the large pump inside.

Plus, there is no natural airflow into the room, so pumping air in from outside eliminates the requirement to "air out" the room and lose the retained heat.

I got a 40x20 shed with a 10x10 fishroom inside it.

Having the pump outside the fishroom in the shed would be good for fresh air, but in the summer the shed would get alot warmer than the fishroom.

So would hot air upset the fish or wear out the airpump quicker ?

cool air carries more oxygen then warm air, [though that is not the real issue].

maybe put the air pump in the f/room of a summer.

my air pumps are in a constant temp of 26/28 with the revalant humidity. i've had no issues [as yet]

Archived