Sand Substrate thinkness

Robbo2232

Hello friends!

I am having some problems in my tank, my LFS said that my problem could be caused by trapped gasses in my sand substrate, I have a thick layer around 8 - 10cms.

would there be any problems with having sand that thick?

Thanks

Rob

Yes,

try not to have it more than an inch or two deep. The gases get trapped and can be fatal to your fish if they aren't released regularly. If you cut down the depth and give the substrate a good stir when you do your waterchanges you should be right...

Hydrogen Sulfide or H2S,(rotten egg gas) it is toxic to humans so NFI what it will do to fish.

A thin layer of sand is all that is really needed and if your fish don't stir it up,then each water change stir the sand around as much as you can,so the bottom layer is on top until next time around.

I have G. rio Branco in there at the moment and wanted to see them sifting all the sand around i will take out half and see what happens

Thanks all!

I would take out a lot more than half,you only need a fine layer for geo's,about 5-10mm at most as the shallower it is the looser it will be and the easier it will be for them to sift,in turn you will find they will sift more. Also if they aren't sifting much,only feed once a day and give them a fairly decent water current.

Archived