Reviving Fish

Lonx

One of the gold gourami's (don't ask!!) I have in a 3 foot tank had an accident last night when she tried to splash/jump at the surface of the water. At least a few hours later I found she'd jumped out of the tank (out of a 2" gap at back of the hood) & fallen to the ground & landed in an empty bucket next to the aquarium.

With sticky/drying skin, but the priority to get her back into water I lifted her out and spent the next hour trying to revive her... some of you might disagree but the mrs is quite attached to this one so I wasn't about to give up easily.

The gourami gave a slight kick but wasn't breathing, so i had to resort to lightly propping the mouth open with a toothpick and blowing softly through its mouth to inflate its lungs/gills for 20 seconds or so. This got it breathing very weak & slow... then held its mouth open slightly in front of the outlet of a small power filter. Eventually it started breathing on its own and after spending about an hour doing this it was able to handle itself ok in the water.

Setup a fry saver in its tank and put another airstone in right near it to try & help... and thankfully its still alive and kicking (and eating tonight). Probably wouldn't have survived too long if it was any of her other fish but I figure its a pretty good story. I honestly don't know how long it was out of the water before I noticed, but the skin was very sticky and dried so anything is possible.

Does anyone else have any interesting stories?

JD - don't even start!!

Once in my mums gold fish tank the filter broke and one of the gold fish were about to die it was swimming upside down and everything couldnt breathe at all, put it in a new water in and still couldnt breathe prop, put an air stone in the tank still couldnt breath prop just laid there floating and, then put the air tube in its mouth, and 5 min later it came back to life agian and swam aroiund like nothing happen,

Edited by fongyfong

If you notice said gourami shambling around the tank with a vacant look upon its face, feasting on the brains of your living fish, remember: remove the head or destroy the brain. This is the only way to kill ZOMBIE FISH!!

Na good stuff mate I figured if they'd been out of water for long enough for their breathing to stop that was it..

I can remember getting sick fish grabing them just behind their gills and driving

them around the tank , just like when playing with toy cars , or blowing into their mouths than doing it ; seem to work most of the time, fish that had jumped out of the tank or going belly up

had some people laugh at me when doing it , it worked on a sliver shark acouple of times that kept thinking that the lounge room floor looked better than its tank

cheers kelvin

One of my clown loaches was hovering near the surface. It got a fright when I walked past. It flipped itself out of an impossibly small gap. I thought the splash was the usual I'm-outta-here-splash. Was only the sound of the fish flipping on the floor that alerted me. Had to put it back in toot sweet. Was fine. It's spiney whiskers felt a bit scary though.

Have seen zifin's technique in action too;

At an lfs saw a clown loach on th floor and alerted the staff. Boy are loaches flippy or what? Anyways, the lfs guy picked it up. Held it in his hand and moved it through the water cupped loosely in one of his hands. Fully underwater. Then let it go. That movement must have got the water going through it's gills. I was very impressed. Filed the technique away for future reference.

Edited by wish-ga

i have recently just setup an existing 4footer with a large wet/dry system and two diy overflows made out of 25mm pressure pipe. i had a bristlenose in there cycling the filter for around a week and thought it would be a good time to get those baby fronts i wanted. before i left i had a quick glance at the tank to see the bn but couldnt see it, too excited about going to pick up the fronts i shrugged it off and went to get the new fish. upon placing the fronts in the tank i realised that my bn had travelled down the overflow into the wet/dry. as the foam in the wet/dry was a good 10cms above the water in the sump i assumed the bn to be dead. i went to retrieve the bn and realised that it was still kicking after almost, or what i think, 4 hrs out of the water. although it would still have been getting wet from spray bar i could not understand how it survived. this was only two days ago and it is still recovering. true story :yes:

Great stories, it really is amazing at what fish can survive through. Recently I had a similar back from the dead situation, but alas, it was the "food" that came to life. I have a colony of adult green horsefaces, G. leucosticta in with some bronze corydoras and by accident, a horseface had gotten a bronze stuck in its mouth. I have lost hope about recovering the corydoras or perform major surgery, so I just let it be, removing all the other corydoras from the tank just in case. A few days later, to my sadness, the horseface died and it was behind a pot and so must have been there for a day or so. So I removed it and saw the the cory was still stuck in the dead fish's mouth, the jaw came apart quite easily due to the decomposition and out came the bronze cory, it dropped to the floor and flipped around to my amazement. Back in the tank it went and it swam around seemingly quite healthy, albeit a little distraught.

Cheers,

Vien.