Is my Electric Yellow holding? (with pics)

blakemills

Have had this electric yellow for 6 months now. When sold to me, they told me the bigger ones in the tank were males, so I got the biggest one possible. They confirmed it as a male. However, after researching for the past few months (I'm new to cichlids), I guess I became curious to the actual sex of the yellow as it had no black under its body.

Now, I am assuming it is female, and I also think the she may be holding. I only have a single electric blue MALE in the tank with her... so I am a little worried.

She hasn't eaten for about 2 weeks, although seems to look healthy. She also hasn't really left her cave much. Lastly, she has developed a noticable lump under her mouth.

Picture several months ago:

IPB Image

And, now:

IPB Image

IPB Image

What do you think? Is the electric yellow a female? and is it holding? I have a few more pictures I could upload if these angles are not helping..

Thanks for your help

Any chance you just fed your yellow not long before taking the photo? And do you mean you only have an electric yellow and electric blue in the tank? Surely i wouldnt imagine those two xbreeding...

hey mate the fry wont last to long in the tank after she spits em out..

most fish like a chew on fry.

so ya wont have to worry IMO ...

unless you wanna breed yellows that is.

Any chance you just fed your yellow not long before taking the photo? And do you mean you only have an electric yellow and electric blue in the tank? Surely i wouldnt imagine those two xbreeding...

As I said, the electric yellow hasn't touched a bit of food for 2 weeks... isn't even interested when the electric blue is feeding.

And yes, only an electric yellow and an electric blue, as well as a peppermint bn fry since 2 days ago. I only upgraded my tank a month ago (from 30L to 250L), so have just been researching as what to get next.

its definately a girl... she looking very nice aswell.

if its been 2 weeks already then she should be due to release soon. do you have any updated pics of her?

its definately a girl... she looking very nice aswell.

if its been 2 weeks already then she should be due to release soon. do you have any updated pics of her?

These were taken today..

I'll take some more photos if her condition changes over the next few days

Oh and thanks! she is a beautiful fish

I also would love to see the fry when they grow up...

I would recommend that you try and grow the fry to get some experience in raising fry... and if they die along the way then no great loss.

she may have an unfertilised bunch of eggs in her mouth as i cant see an electric blue and yellow breeding... But if they have you can just leave the eggs in the tank.. They will get munched on...

Matty probably should have mentioned he was joking.... :roll

You'd likely get a dirty looking yellow as an offspring, with a longer face.

Please don't keep any fry :no::roll

A nice example of a yellow there! What I'd suggest you do is buy say another 3 females electric yellow and then a male and get rid of the electric blue. That way you will have a nice colony, from which you can breed some fry.

Definantly do not keep the babies. Let her spit them out in the tank and do not make any attempt to keep them alive. As ViS said you will only end up wih a dirty grey - yellow coloured fish. Hybrids are frowned upon in fishkeeping.

Archived