Calvus frys dying

newcichlid

Hi All

My calvus frys are 3.5 weeks old. Had approx 100 frys, and left with 40 now.

They are in a frysaver with an airstone. The water conditions have been

pH8.6

gH 11-12

kH 10-12

Temp 25-26C

Its a 4ft tank with EYs as well. Had my biggest lost in one day today with 13 died. Been losing 1-4 everyday for the last week or so. Water change every week to keep nitrates low. No ammonia or nitrite.

I dont aged my water prior to water change. I keep/distract the fish to stay at one end while i fill the tank at the other end and dripping water ager solutions regularly.

I am preparing the 2ft tank to house the frys. Just need to get a heater and seeding my corner filters with bacteria in the main tank atm to transfer to the 2ft tank.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Eric

I dont aged my water prior to water change. I keep/distract the fish to stay at one end while i fill the tank at the other end and dripping water ager solutions regularly.

That will be your problem.

I had similar issues filling buckets and adding water ager untill i started letting my water sit with ager solution for full day. Now i don't lose any at all.

Down in my fish room i also have a 500lt tank which i let the water age with an airstone turning it over for a week before performing water changes.

That will be your problem.

I had similar issues filling buckets and adding water ager untill i started letting my water sit with ager solution for full day. Now i don't lose any at all.

Down in my fish room i also have a 500lt tank which i let the water age with an airstone turning it over for a week before performing water changes.

Do you think that cos i do water changes weekly, the chloramine is killing my bacteria and they are not recovering quick enough and in turn affecting the frys. also would seachem safe be better to use than a the usual water ager solutions?

Just spoke to a breeder and he does his water change direct from the tap and he doesnt have an issue with his frys. He does his water change fortnightly

Cheers

Eric

hey eric,

the water out of your tap could have different levels of chemicals

to your breeder mate.

the amount of water you are changing could be to much..

maybe try to change a bit less water weekly before you try fortnightly.

HTH cheers brett

hey eric,

the water out of your tap could have different levels of chemicals

to your breeder mate.

the amount of water you are changing could be to much..

maybe try to change a bit less water weekly before you try fortnightly.

HTH cheers brett

Thanks Brett

The guy lives in melb like me. atm i am doing 25% weekly.

Are you feeding frozen bbs only? If so try supplementing with crushed flake or pellets or over-the-counter powdered fry food until you get your live bbs going. I've heard that bs lose alot of their nutrients once they are frozen.

What is the PH of your tap water? and how do you get it to 8.6? I suspect the PH swing is killing your fry.

Tap water is about pH 7 and kH 3. I increase the kH to 10-12, which automatically increases the pH to about 8.6.

I am moving them to a grow out tank and see if it is the water as i will be doing bucket water changes for this tank so able to age the water first.

Archived