New to cichlids - alto calvus help

fishslap

To begin with I'd like to say hello to ya'll. I've kept a successful tropical planted community tank for about two years and am interested in changing it up and establishing a tang tank. The tank itself is 120L (60x45x45cm) with a Fluval 205 filter (420L/hr), lighting is 2x2 t5's currently running 10,000k globes.

I'm interested in keeping a pair of calvus if they will fit. From reading this and other websites, I'm considering using a black tahitian moon sand substrate with white limestone holey rock, cutting the light down to a single 2xt5 unit with a pink and actinic globe to show off the fish's color.

I'm interested to hear your opinions on whether the tank size is sufficient, where and for how much I could purchase a pair of calvus (I live in Melbourne), and any other considerations I need to take into account for success.

Thanks greatly for reading!

hi

for a pair i would think it would be ok, but if you plan on breeding these you may want another tank on hand as a grow out tank as keeping the fry in the same tank they would soon run out of room.

the filter seems ok for the tank size possible a little small as from memory they say about 4 times the tank water per hour which would make yours a little small. Just have to monitor your water conditions closely and do regular water changes if required.

Calvus like good water, nitrate or nitrites (cant remember which one) affect them quickly (well in my knolwage of keeping altos anyway) so i try to keep good water conditions.

Are you going to have anything else in the tank?? dither fish or cleaners etc (brissle nose etc).

Also make sure you have some places for them to hide, and dont stress if they dont come out for the first few weeks (or more) as mine took a little time to get used to me and the tank but know al my altos come out to the front of the tank most of the time and always out around feeding time.

if you have any other question post them up and i am sure someone will be able to answer them for you but just remember everyone is differant and everyone has differant experices with differant fish so what works for me might not work for you.

jason

hi

for a pair i would think it would be ok, but if you plan on breeding these you may want another tank on hand as a grow out tank as keeping the fry in the same tank they would soon run out of room.

the filter seems ok for the tank size possible a little small as from memory they say about 4 times the tank water per hour which would make yours a little small. Just have to monitor your water conditions closely and do regular water changes if required.

Calvus like good water, nitrate or nitrites (cant remember which one) affect them quickly (well in my knolwage of keeping altos anyway) so i try to keep good water conditions.

Are you going to have anything else in the tank?? dither fish or cleaners etc (brissle nose etc).

Also make sure you have some places for them to hide, and dont stress if they dont come out for the first few weeks (or more) as mine took a little time to get used to me and the tank but know al my altos come out to the front of the tank most of the time and always out around feeding time.

if you have any other question post them up and i am sure someone will be able to answer them for you but just remember everyone is differant and everyone has differant experices with differant fish so what works for me might not work for you.

jason

At the moment I'm doing weekly 40% water changes, so I guess I'd do smaller amounts more frequently to maintain chemistry.

As for dither fish, what kind of fish are you referring to? The tank size would limit me keeping any more tangs for territorial disputes wouldn't it?? Or can tetras withstand the higher pH levels?? Also, I currently have a BN in my community tropical tank- I figure if I slowly acclimatize him to the new water he should be alright.

Regarding purchasing them, does anyone know where in Melbourne they are sold and how much I should be looking at paying for a pair?

Cheers,

Nick

hi

jason

At the moment I'm doing weekly 40% water changes, so I guess I'd do smaller amounts more frequently to maintain chemistry.

As for dither fish, what kind of fish are you referring to? The tank size would limit me keeping any more tangs for territorial disputes wouldn't it?? Or can tetras withstand the higher pH levels?? Also, I currently have a BN in my community tropical tank- I figure if I slowly acclimatize him to the new water he should be alright.

Regarding purchasing them, does anyone know where in Melbourne they are sold and how much I should be looking at paying for a pair?

Cheers,

Nick

If you want to buy from a LFS, then for a pair you are looking at approx $250-360. Sometimes you have hobbyist selling their pair and could get them for $150. Alternatively, buy a few younger ones for approx $40-55 from LFS or about $25 from a breeder. Then remove any excess males. When I started out I bought 4 calvus (2 big and 2 small) from Subscape in Richmond. My fortune that it turned out to be 2M and 2F. I keep mine in a 4ft tank (with EYs) and are currently breeding. I wouldnt do any more frequent WC then once weekly. I do about 30%. You would also need shells for breeding around the size of a fist would be good. i keep my chemistry pH8.6, gH 12, kH 10-12.

Subscape may have some more on sale and i think from memory they are from the same batch so if you pick the biggest and smallest, good chance you have a male and female but may not necessarily pair up tho.

HTH

Eric

as has been said i wouldn't go doing a 40% water change each week, that much water change (since you only have 120 L) is a lot to at once and these fish as mentioned dont like bad water or too big a chance quickly. i would stick with a 20% weekly and as long as the water tests come back ok stick with that.

Just remember that these guys take 2 years before they are ready to breed (thats roughly 2 years before anyone says anything). What type of calvus where you looking at also as will change price and availability.

Black calvus (fairly common these days) in NSW about $20 to $30 for fry 3cm

White calvus (can get them but as adults next to impossible) $30+ for fry 3cm

Yellow calvus (haven't seen any for sale as fry or adults EVER but apparently you can get them) $$$$

(if anyone has yellow calvus for sale and can ship to newcastle let me as i will take some)

So yeah check them out on the web for pics (Google is your friend) and make a dercission on which one you want and start searching form there.

Also there are lots of other variants out the of the altos that might interest you. Gold comps, Gold head, Fire fin, Red fin etc etc I have a 600 L display tank (Not or breeding as they will cross breed) with just about a pair or trio of all the above (except yellow calvus) and my tank looks great when they are all out and about.

jason

Alternatively, apply for access to the classifieds here and post up a Wanted to Buy, it may save you quite a bit of cash.

The tank is a bit small for a school of dither fish, and certainly not tetras which are not suited to hard alkaline water. In a larger tank i have kept Cyprichromis sp and Australian Rainbows with calvus. You could possibly try a few of the dwarf rainbows, but they do prefer a planted tank (as do tetras) and are not a necessity. Your b/n will be fine though.

I am mainly considering the black calvus or the gold comps- in fact it was seeing a pair of NFS gold comps at Subscape in Richmond that got me interested in African cichlids in the first place.

As for dither fish, would tetras be able to cope with the higher pH level?? I thought most freshwater tetras were from rivers which would suggest a slightly acidic ph, where rift lakes are very alkali?

Alternatively, apply for access to the classifieds here and post up a Wanted to Buy, it may save you quite a bit of cash.

The tank is a bit small for a school of dither fish, and certainly not tetras which are not suited to hard alkaline water. In a larger tank i have kept Cyprichromis sp and Australian Rainbows with calvus. You could possibly try a few of the dwarf rainbows, but they do prefer a planted tank (as do tetras) and are not a necessity. Your b/n will be fine though.

Beat me to it!

Hey Nick

Calvus Black were auctioned for $15 each at the VCS auction last sat. There may be some at the EDAS auction 2 weekends away. The ones that were sold were quality 3 cm frys.

have you tried putting a WTB ad in the Vic forum www.addicted2fishforums.com ??

I have 60+ frys atm but I dont think you want to wait 9 mths do ya? :thumbup:

Cheers

Eric

Hey Nick

Calvus Black were auctioned for $15 each at the VCS auction last sat. There may be some at the EDAS auction 2 weekends away. The ones that were sold were quality 3 cm frys.

Cheers

Eric

Ahh auctions and classifieds.. it used to be as easy as rocking up to the LFS and seeing what was around! Cheers for that I've just applied for the classifieds and I'll check out this auction too. Cheers!

Hey Nick

Cheers

Eric

Ahh auctions and classifieds.. it used to be as easy as rocking up to the LFS and seeing what was around! Cheers for that I've just applied for the classifieds and I'll check out this auction too. Cheers!

Archived