Need help with new 6x18x18

cyber_crimes

I just purchased a new 6x18x18 display and was wondering what size heater & filter I will need. Am currently looking at a 1500LPH canister filter & a 300w submersible heater. Will these suffice? or would I need more/less?

I would buy a Hydor 300w inline external heater. I have one and they are great. They are not in the tank and that is a bonus. 300w should be sufficient.

Dave.

Can anyone else recomend these external inline heaters?

I just looked on AOA and am contemplating placing an order but would like more feedback regarding the following items:

Hydor ETH 300W heater

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalog...236&catID=7

Aqua Nova NCF-1500 filter

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalog...604&catID=6

ive got 1 of the Aqua Nova NCF-1500 filter from AOA on my 6x18x18 its goin good water is crystal clear fish are healthy...

if i had to i would buy another 1...

cant help ya with the heater tho sorry

:thumb hth

cyber_crimes

If yours comes like mine you might need more filter media eg ceramic rings & carbon.

Another packet of each should be OK.

Mine came without filter bags, but I didn't buy it through AoA.

You could ask for them to be checked, or just add a small one to the list.

Not essential for the rings.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/filter_...amp;instid=8130

HTH

Old Dave

Hi,

I would go for at least 2 canisters. I have a few of the Aqua Nova canisters, and they have been very reliable for me. I am slowly changing them over to Eheim though because they are the best.

If you do go the AN 1500, you will need 2 of them to have a turnover of 8 times per hour, which I what I would recommend. Also, if one fails, you won't lose all your biofilter at once.

As Shane suggested perhaps not enough filtration for 6x18x18, it does depend on what you intend on keeping in the tank offcourse. What kind of bio-load are you going to put on the filters? If you start with fry it might be fine and add as you go if money is a problem. You could also add an HOB filter like an AC500 they are get filters and not too costly. Some fish like turbulant waters while others will be happier with a little less throughput.

As an indication I used to run a fluval 304 (rated @ 1200lph from memory) on a standard 4'tank with 12-15 medium adult malawi's on a standard 4' tank

HTH

cheers

Rosco

For a big tank, or any decent sized tank, two slightly smaller cannisters are definately better than one large one.

For various reasons.........

1. Increased bio media (can never have too much)

2. Better water flow throughout the entire tank which can be adjusted depending on how you position the returns.

3. Better waste collection as you have two suction points rather than just the one.

4. Having two allows for a backup should one unfortunately fail or needs repair/cleaning.

5. Overall filtration and water turn over is maximised.

6. And.....The fun of looking after two cannisters rather than just the one.....(i'm a maintenance junkie so i love working on my tanks).

Archived