Ehiem 2028 or Ehiem 2217

fongyfong

anyone got these? how do they run and whats the difference between the 2? in regards to keeping the tank crystal clear? the 2028 is like 300 more then the 2217? and which one is more easier to use? looking to use this on a 6 foot by 2 foot by 50 cm tank that ill be getting in about 2 months would one of these be enough? or should i get 2 of them?

Edited by fongyfong

I think that either filter will be way too small for a 6x2x50cm tank. You will need either a sump filter or a Eheim 2080 or 2250/2260 filter at least maybe 2 x 2250/2260.

Dave.

cheers mate was thinking going sump but too noisy so one ehiem 2080? the price for that canister is like 800 bucks ya rekon its worth it? was gonna get a fx5 but want ehiem now cos read too many good stuff on it

in reliabilty

Yep, the 2217 only does 1050 lph from memory. I have a 2260 bucket filter, and this thing is a monster. Does 2400 lph, but Eheim rate a bit closer to the mark than a lot of the other filter manufacturers. I have a 6x2x2 and it is filtered by the 2260 and a 1500 lph canister. Does the job very well...

Oh and in response to your question about how they run..

The 2217's are more of a bucket type filter. I have noodles on the bottom with a coarse sponge on top of them. Then I have Eheim media and matrix with another sponge on top of that. Not the easiest setup to clean, but you get used to it.

The 2028's and other Pro series filters have compartments that you remove for easier cleaning.

i want something easy to clean as im a bit lazy i am considering and being close to buy the ehiem thermo filter 2180 just saw one for 829 and just saw one the cheapest so far a ehiem 2080 for 659 still thinking weather its worth paying an extra 170 for an inbuilt heater would one 2080 be enough? for my tank?

Yep, the 2217 only does 1050 lph from memory. I have a 2260 bucket filter, and this thing is a monster. Does 2400 lph, but Eheim rate a bit closer to the mark than a lot of the other filter manufacturers. I have a 6x2x2 and it is filtered by the 2260 and a 1500 lph canister. Does the job very well...

and whats the 1500 litre one wat brand?

Its just a cheap Aqua Nova. I have had it for a couple of years and it hasn't missed a beat. I am replacing it with a 2217 I have in the shed when I get around to it. I am paranoid, so I always have a backup filtration system in case one fails and you lose your bio filter / oxygen exchange.