Lepto Malasa Blue & Yellow tail morphs?

Spyder

HI All, i have read elsewhere that malasa leptosoma can have blue or yellow tail morphs regardless of the colour of the fathers tail. I have had a colony of malasa for a while now (all yellow tail) but have never seen a blue tail being produced.

Firstly is the information i have found above correct, or should blue and yellow tails be treated as a separate group?

Following on from this would it be wise to try and hunt down a blue tail male to introduce to the group? so that i can get some blue tail offspring and introduce some more diversity. Or will this activity simply produce mangled mutants lol!!

Would love to hear anyone's opinion, particularly those who have or have had a mixed colony.

cheers,

Ben.

The information is correct I have seen photo's of Lepto's in the lake and showing both Blue and Yellow tails

Plus I have had Mpulungu breeding and had both blue and yellow tails come out through the babies

Brad

I've never seen a blue-tail malasa over here despite the info from the lake.

Some time ago Ben Moremon (I think) was looking around fro the blue-tailed morph, I don;t know if he had any luck (he hadn't dad any by the time he ckecked with me)

I would be curious to know if you find any and would be interested in adding the gene into my own colony if someone has them.

I've never seen a blue-tail malasa over here despite the info from the lake.

Some time ago Ben Moremon (I think) was looking around fro the blue-tailed morph, I don;t know if he had any luck (he hadn't dad any by the time he ckecked with me)

I would be curious to know if you find any and would be interested in adding the gene into my own colony if someone has them.

Thanks Chorrylan....i guess there's only one thing for it...to the CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely there are Malasa Leptosoma with blue tails as I have at least one at the moment and have had others previously.

Personally the blue tails ones are less triking than the more common yellow tails.

At the moment the blue tail is one of the breeding males in the colony so we will see what results.

Cheers

Andreas

Archived