Adding an Algae Eater.

Evo

Righto i'm looking to add an algae eater to my tank as i am getting some algae spots (growths all over the back walls)

This is what i currently have

3 Acei Sexes unknown

4 Salousi (im starting to think 2 male 2 female)

3 Maingano (Sexes Unknown)

3 Sulphur Crested Lithobates

I'm going to trade in 2 golden catfish for something to eat the algae better. What do you suggest?

Tank is 3x 1.5 x 2 feet.

Any Bristle nose are good cleaners, and Possibly some shrimp. I have some large shrimp in my 5x2x2 display tank and as long as they have somewhere to hide they don't tend to get eaten. They spend most of the day stuck to the glass eating away. The plecs also love it but your tank is a bit small as the plecs get pretty big.

I hope that helps you out a bit.

thanks i'm thinking about getting a bristlenose... Although another tank i have hs one in it and it tends to hide in the day. But guess he does all his cleaning at night because the glass is spotless.

thanks i'm thinking about getting a bristlenose... Although another tank i have hs one in it and it tends to hide in the day. But guess he does all his cleaning at night because the glass is spotless.

Spot on... They do tend to clean the glass at night.

I'd probably go the bristlenose too just make sure they ahve somewhere to go during the day where the maingano's can't get at them. If they get hungry they tend to take eyes I had this happen to a polystigma and a local breeder had a similar issue with his maingano fry takin out his bristlenose.

Hi Evo

Even though a little pricey(but will out-way) a big pleco(s) may be the way to go, as they have a harder coat.

I keep some Sailfins - 12inch with my Africans - 4-5inch, and either of them hassel each other.

You don't need to buy them at that size, but would be better with the fish you have, if already adult sized.

Only 1 would be enough anyhow

Regards Symphy ;)

Archived