Steatocranus Tinanti

chevguy

G'DAY KIETH,

if you havent already done it, there is an article on them in the "cichlid room companion"

google it to find it.....

how are those other things going ;)

im keen to get these guys goin too...

i got 2 pairs of Steatocranus casuarius breeding

and im looking for Steatocranus Tinanti.

very cool fish to watch bounce around

I've got a pair of these - haven't bred them for a couple of years though - in a community tank atm.

They like plenty of hiding spaces, soft water (or driftwood), feeding twice a day (bloodworms they tend to like), no water changes for say 3 weeks and then a decent one, 30%, to get them going.... you can tell the female's getting keen by her body shape... she gets very plump. that's probably the time to time the water change.... the eggs are laid on the side of a rock or in a bristlenose breeding log... I don't know how long they take to hatch but the times when I've snooped the fry take ages to come out of the log/hiding... maybe 2 weeks. They can stay with the parents for a couple of months... until about 3cms.

I've got a pair of these - haven't bred them for a couple of years though - in a community tank atm.

.... the eggs are laid on the side of a rock or in a bristlenose breeding log...

do these fish need a dark cave?, like their lionhead cousins. iv'e read that the lionhead eggs are light sensative

.... the eggs are laid on the side of a rock or in a bristlenose breeding log...

do these fish need a dark cave?, like their lionhead cousins. iv'e read that the lionhead eggs are light sensative

mmm.... i wouldn't say so for certain because I've seen them bred in a community planted tank with heaps of lighting... they were under a piece of driftwood so it would have been dark in the spawning site.

I haven't ever had a light on the tank when they've spawned. I've spawned them more successfully in a bristlenose log that with the stacked rocks. I'm always pretty careful to not pry or pay them too much attention. In a tank by themselves they tend to stress out easily and hide alot... the male more so than the female.

I've actually been thinking about using a significantly larger 'log' next time I try with this pair. The male is now between 15 & 20 cm and can't turn around in a regular log anymore... he could have trouble fertilising the eggs otherwise.

Also - I think these little fellas are one of the most personable fish you can have. They don't look much at 3cm but at about 6cm they get a great little face and their behaviour of trying to be part of everything in a community tank really keeps things interesting.

Really recommend people to buy a couple and see for yourself :)

Archived