Lighting

MCB

Hi,

I am setting up a 2.5ft 120l small cichlid tank with a few 'cichlid-proof' plants. I am guessing that T5 lights would be the way to go? - perhaps with one daylight bulb and one blue bulb? How do the different brands compare? There seems to be big differences in the prices and am thinking I am missing something obvious...!

Thanks!

The blue bulb is a waste of time, they are meant for reef tanks though they will bring out the blues in your fish. High Outpit (HO) T5s are a good choice for a planted tank, though could you please specify which cichlids you plan on keeping with them?

Hence only a few P. Salousi, and N. Brevis don't need a large tank. I already mentioned in my original post that this is a small tank. I've decided to give maybe some java fern a go - if it works out then great, and if not then so be it.

I wasn't actually after an opinion on this. Any experiences / input on lighting would be appreciated!

I think you'd have better illumination with a day-glo kinda bright white light + the blue if you are after some better colouring. Will give more natural colour but still lots of highlights? Just my 2c tho,

Thanks for your replies. I think a day glo and blue T5 light it will be. Its good to see for real what colours are brought out with different light tubes. The blue lights look almost like moon lighting! Does anyone have any ideas on what light fitting brands are decent and good value?

Archived