Calvus and EY

newcichlid

Hi all

Currently, I have 2M 2F Calvus. EY used to be with them but relocated to new tank with a pleco to cycle it for my tropheus.

I had approx 65 frys from 1F (second and successful spawn) yesterday, now in frysaver and another F in the shell (so hopefully more frys in 2 weeks time but this is her first try).

The EY males are shaking but the female are not interested as yet, but could be soon. Is it safe to put the EYs and pleco back into the first tank when my tropheus arrive in 2 weeks?

Was told that the EY could suck the calvus fry thru the netting.

Thanks

Eric

Well done on the fry. There are a lot fish that will suck fry through a net. What I do is get a clean ice cream container, cut or drill several holes in it (holes about 1cm diameter) to allow for water to flow through, but not allow larger fish in, and place that around the fry net. Depending on how your fry net attaches to the side of the tank, you may need to cut a large piece out of the ice cream container to go around this attachment. Hope this makes sense but it works for all my fry, including gold comps. When the fry get a little larger and more mobile, I sometimes cut the ice cream lid to make a solid base to fry net.

Bruce

Well done on the fry. There are a lot fish that will suck fry through a net. What I do is get a clean ice cream container, cut or drill several holes in it (holes about 1cm diameter) to allow for water to flow through, but not allow larger fish in, and place that around the fry net. Depending on how your fry net attaches to the side of the tank, you may need to cut a large piece out of the ice cream container to go around this attachment. Hope this makes sense but it works for all my fry, including gold comps. When the fry get a little larger and more mobile, I sometimes cut the ice cream lid to make a solid base to fry net.

Bruce

Thanks bruce. My frysaver is an icecream container with a window cut out on both ends and closed with flyscreen (double layer to make the holes smaller than the fry).

I suppose what i wanted to ask is should i get my growth 2ft tank and used it for the EYs instead and leave the calvus by themselves in the 4ft tank or is it safe to tfr the EYs back to that tank.

When the calvus fry are in the shell they should be OK, but once they leave they will be lunch for someone. My comp fry do better, by that I mean I have a better survival rate, when I leave them in a fry net in the parent tank. I get losses when I move them to a new tank and new water.

I can't see that the yellows will affect the calvus fry in a well protected net, you just have to observe if the yellow affect the calvus parents and the frequency at which they breed. Might be trial and error here.

I have yellows with my young calvus. They don't affect the fish, but they have only attempted to spawn once.

Bruce

When the calvus fry are in the shell they should be OK, but once they leave they will be lunch for someone. My comp fry do better, by that I mean I have a better survival rate, when I leave them in a fry net in the parent tank. I get losses when I move them to a new tank and new water.

I can't see that the yellows will affect the calvus fry in a well protected net, you just have to observe if the yellow affect the calvus parents and the frequency at which they breed. Might be trial and error here.

I have yellows with my young calvus. They don't affect the fish, but they have only attempted to spawn once.

Bruce

Thanks for that Bruce. So Calvus do breed often?

Cheers

Eric

Archived