Breeding Jack Dempseys

nbw

I currently have a pair of Jack Dempsey's (13cm) that laid their first batch of eggs and fry shortly followed.

I have a 6x2x2 tank with some peppermints (3@4cm) Rivulatus Gold Saum (4@7cm) cuckoo catfish(2@6cm) and gold severum (2@8cm) in with the JD's. Do i need to remove these fish for the fry to develop as one morning the fry were there, and that afternoon they were gone...

They were being very good parents by protecting the fry, and i have read that they will protect their young and fight off any intruders.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers everyone :thumb

Hi mate,

I used to keep a breeding pair of these (thus the name)

it was my introduction to the world of fishkeeping.

they have a unreal parental behaviour.

- almost like some humans- they swim happily, fight, then make up and breed, then fight again, and the whole thing starts again at swim happily..... :):thumb

my point is: Id suggest a standard 3 ftr, just for them. (the other fish in the tank Will eat the JD fry)

but also, the JD's get very protective when they breed, Im suprised the adults are'nt trying to eat the other fish.

give them 1 big cave to dwell in, on the end of the tank.

and some plants and driftwood on the other end of the tank.with open space of substrate in the middle.

you'll get to see some fairly cool behaviour, and also watch them with each other, once the babies get about 4-5 weeks old,

the adults tend to get a bit fed up with caring for the babies, and they get agressive towrds each other.

you have to seperate the female when that happens.

My male JD, wound up ripping the female to shreds, i found her dead O'nite. after breeding happily for over a year.

Hope this helps out

Cheers

Karl.

thanks karl, is there much of a demand out there for JD's amongst collectors and LFS?

Hi mate,

I used to keep a breeding pair of these (thus the name)

it was my introduction to the world of fishkeeping.

they have a unreal parental behaviour.

- almost like some humans- they swim happily, fight, then make up and breed, then fight again, and the whole thing starts again at swim happily..... :):thumb

my point is: Id suggest a standard 3 ftr, just for them. (the other fish in the tank Will eat the JD fry)

but also, the JD's get very protective when they breed, Im suprised the adults are'nt trying to eat the other fish.

give them 1 big cave to dwell in, on the end of the tank.

and some plants and driftwood on the other end of the tank.with open space of substrate in the middle.

you'll get to see some fairly cool behaviour, and also watch them with each other, once the babies get about 4-5 weeks old,

the adults tend to get a bit fed up with caring for the babies, and they get agressive towrds each other.

you have to seperate the female when that happens.

My male JD, wound up ripping the female to shreds, i found her dead O'nite. after breeding happily for over a year.

Hope this helps out

Cheers

Karl.

Archived