Cloudy water

Michiel

Good morning

I have used seachem tank and aquasonic rift lake buffers to fill a few tanks. It has been 4 days now and the water is not any less cloudy.

KH is only around 4.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the cloudiness?

Thank you

Michiel

Good morning

I have used seachem tank and aquasonic rift lake buffers to fill a few tanks. It has been 4 days now and the water is not any less cloudy.

KH is only around 4.

Thank you

Michiel

Hi,

I use the Aquasonic buffer and Aqua Pics African conditioning crystals, and I never have any cloudiness. I am adding 18 teaspoons of each to a 220L drum of water. How much are you using and do you add them at the same time?

Good morning

KH is only around 4.

Thank you

Michiel

Hi,

I use the Aquasonic buffer and Aqua Pics African conditioning crystals, and I never have any cloudiness. I am adding 18 teaspoons of each to a 220L drum of water. How much are you using and do you add them at the same time?

I put in 5g/10l of the rift lake and 1 tbs per 280 (approx) l of the seachem. All i put in 250g of seachem and nearly 2kg of aquasonic in about 3 - 3,500 l of water.

I did add them together and just realised why the cloudiness

Nobody seem to be able or willing to answer: where do you get aqua-pics?

Thank you Kilroy

Michiel

Michiel,

What are all of your water parameters? Is there ammonia spike? Maybe your tanks are still cycling :dntknw: . I think that !/4 kilo od satls seems a lot for even for 3000 litres along with 2kilos of aquasonic, but anyhow adding aquapics won't resolve your problem add some Activated carbon or purigen (I think that is the correct product.) and that should clarifiy the water.

cheers

rosco

Michiel,

What are all of your water parameters? Is there ammonia spike? Maybe your tanks are still cycling :dntknw: . I think that !/4 kilo od satls seems a lot for even for 3000 litres along with 2kilos of aquasonic, but anyhow adding aquapics won't resolve your problem add some Activated carbon or purigen (I think that is the correct product.) and that should clarifiy the water.

cheers

rosco

Thank you Rosco

It is brand new tanks and water and everthing is zero. I can see small particles moving in the water. I have also used 2kg of filter wool to try and filter it out. I remember reading something about the two salts mixed toghether will turn water cloudy but normally for 3 days. It is coming on to day 5.

It does seem like a lot of salts. The instruction are 5ml per 7l of rift lake and 5ml of seachem per 40-80l. I though I would be well within the limits and just fine tune later to the appropriate hardness.

Some thanks are clearer and there seem to be undisolved particles on the bottom.

Thanks for you help

Michiel

I reckon it's still cycling. Even though you had seeded sponge filters in there, 3,500 litres is a lot of water to cycle, and it may take a few more days until it starts to settle down. If the fish in there start to rub themselves on the bottom, the ammonia levels might be a bit high. Maybe add some "cycle" to speed it up. It's not expensive.

Make sure you don't feed the fish in there for the next couple of days either, and when you do feed them, make it very small amounts.

It is brand new tanks and water and everthing is zero.

Hi,

new tanks will often be cloudy for some time. In my experience buffers have never caused cloudiness. If you don't wish to wait for it to clear as your filter becomes established you could try adding some Geoliquid. Whilst i don't believe the majority of the manufacturer's claims about this product i have found it to be a harmless and very effective clarifier.

It is brand new tanks and water and everthing is zero.

Hi,

new tanks will often be cloudy for some time. In my experience buffers have never caused cloudiness. If you don't wish to wait for it to clear as your filter becomes established you could try adding some Geoliquid. Whilst i don't believe the majority of the manufacturer's claims about this product i have found it to be a harmless and very effective clarifier.

I just tested and the amonia and all other levels are currently zero. I have not yet introduced and seeded biomedia as I want to make sure no clorine etc is available to kill the little workers.

I also just happend to have 180ml of geoliquid on hand and it went in (treats 1,800l). I have also put some filter wool into a plastic bag with an airstone so will see how that goes.

Thank you for all the help

Have a nice day

Michiel

i added a tang buffer to one of my tanks before and it went white..

but then cleared up after a few hours..

I wish it was a few hours. Some tanks that I used the DIY filter seem to clear up alright. I can even see the black background on about 2 tanks ha ha ha

Have a nice day

Michiel

Archived