Fish Enrichment

Bedge

Is there any such thing as fish enrichment? As Hunky cant have tank mates, he gets really bored. And picks things up, taps the glass, moves things around ... and all your typical type of stuff.

I thought maybe i could find some sort of floating ball .. that he can grab and pull around. Has anyone done this type of thing??

That is a fish having fun. When I had Freddy he used to spend all week fixing the tank the way he liked it then on the weekend I would fix it the way I liked it - He would draw blood, and then start to rearange again.

You can train fish to play with floating ping pong balls - but I would just let him go.

Ohhh! I like the ping pong ball idea .. he would love that.

He generally does just run a muck in his tank but I would like to give him something a bit extra.

Was also thinking of a bit of PVC pipe, closed at the ends, some holes drilled with a few pellets stuck in side? Might encourage some foreging?

Was also thinking of a bit of PVC pipe, closed at the ends, some holes drilled with a few pellets stuck in side? Might encourage some foreging?

Not sure what your substrates like, but I've got coarse and fine river sand in my tanks and for my Corydoras and Geos I'll crush up about 10 or so small sinking pellets every week using a mortar and pestle until they're a fine powder. Maybe it's useless but I'm maybe them digging around in the sand for food is a source of enjoyment. I like watching fish sift through sand though so it makes me happy :p

They do seem to try to watch TV too, the moving/flashing on the screen seems to interest them.

How big is his new tank? If it is big enough you could get him a GF

ahhh! baby dummies! fantastic.

unfortunatly Hunky can't have tank mates. I puchased a beautiful jack dempsy last year. by the next morning he was dead. I balled my eyes out. Hunky pulled off every one of his scales. I didn't even realise. :(

I got a plant, with really straight hard stalks .. and I have been cutting up some cucumber, carrot etc on sliding it on like a skewer. he seems to really like it.

Archived