Tank stocking ideas

Yogie

Hi All,

I have a small 38L Aqua One tank (Aqua Start 320) i was using for fry but no longer have any fry. I want to turn it into a small display tank of some sort, something fun to watch. As it's so small i don't really know what i can put in it?

Anyone have any ideas of what i can put in there? Has to be fun to watch and i wouldn't mind a few colours :p

Thanks,

Johann

Edited by Yogie

You could put in some shelldwellers - they may not provide colour but would definately be interesting to watch. You might even have some luck with fry. If you did want to have a bit of colour you could make a mini makdrop setting of reddish or patterned rocks with some dwarf (cichlid proof!) plants.

Personally I would be wary of going saltwater just because it will be hard to maintain water stability in a tank that size - though it would look good!

do a saltwater tank will look awesome, with some live rock coral and couple of clown fish and damesels

saltwater would be awesome but don't wanna go that way just yet...

You could put in some shelldwellers - they may not provide colour but would definately be interesting to watch. You might even have some luck with fry. If you did want to have a bit of colour you could make a mini makdrop setting of reddish or patterned rocks with some dwarf (cichlid proof!) plants.

Personally I would be wary of going saltwater just because it will be hard to maintain water stability in a tank that size - though it would look good!

will the tank be big enough for shell dwellers? it's only 38L. but that is a good idea!

any other suggestions?

will the tank be big enough for shell dwellers? it's only 38L. but that is a good idea!

any other suggestions?

I kept a group of 8-9 Neolamprologus multifasciatus in an identical tank for a year or so, no worries.

You'll need a lot of shells, and need to cover up the filter intake (I used a sponge).

They're real earthmovers, and not too timid, after a while.

Good luck!

I too currently have some Lamprologus Brevis's in the AquaStart 320 and they are pretty happy in there! If you went with Brevis's then you wont need so many shells as in the natural environment they utilise those niches where there are not so many shells - avoiding competing with other shelldwellers. I think (IMO) it makes the tank look nicer and is easier to keep clean but they are quite pricey!

Shellies defend a small area around their shell and yes, often dig around their shell. If you did want to put a couple of small plants in there then these need ot be as far away from the shells as possible to prevent them being dug up ie. plants at the back, shells towards the front (obviously - so you can see them!)

BTW The Aqua One 320 is only 28 litres :blink precious space!! I wouldnt go for more than 4 shellies to start with - especially if they did end up breeding (quite common with mutlies) and there are no predators to gobble the fry.

seems like shell dwellers are the way to go...

and i stand corrected it is only 28L! so small!!!

might go a pair of occies, keep it nice and simple, no fighting and less bio-load on the little filtration i have...

any advice on the setup options? i was thinking sand for substrate, anubis plant up the back with shells up the front like MBC said?

Edited by Yogie