Jump to content

Removing Red Beard/Brush Algae


japes
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone had any experience? I've figured out the algae problem in my tank is Red Beard/Brush Algae.

I'd like to try and treat it without removing or adding any living animals from the aquarium, so Siamese Algae Eaters are out. Are there any sun block style treatments or products available that will safely nuke this stuff? I don't mind the look of some of it but its starting to overrun my tank.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard a few drops of a product made by Azoo works wonders. From memory, it's called something like "Brush/hair algae remover" or something along those lines.

Maybe you could give that a go. My friend has used it a couple years back and swears by it. Make sure you don't overdose tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard a few drops of a product made by Azoo works wonders. From memory, it's called something like "Brush/hair algae remover" or something along those lines.

Maybe you could give that a go. My friend has used it a couple years back and swears by it. Make sure you don't overdose tho.

I started dosing with Flourish Excel yesterday after receiving it in a new order and apparently symptoms of beard/brush algae dying is reddish or pinkish colouring, which is why I noticed it more than usual and decided to take the steps to remove the stuff.

Continuing the dosage and will hopefully see it gone within the week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Double or triple dose the excel and the beard algae will die.

Dave.

I've heard a few drops of a product made by Azoo works wonders. From memory, it's called something like "Brush/hair algae remover" or something along those lines.

Maybe you could give that a go. My friend has used it a couple years back and swears by it. Make sure you don't overdose tho.

I started dosing with Flourish Excel yesterday after receiving it in a new order and apparently symptoms of beard/brush algae dying is reddish or pinkish colouring, which is why I noticed it more than usual and decided to take the steps to remove the stuff.

Continuing the dosage and will hopefully see it gone within the week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm doing around 1.5x dosage as I've read that going from no Excel to overdosing it can cause fish health problems. If that doesn't kill it I will slowly increase it.

Upped the dosage to 2x the recommended and the fish seem fine, and the algae is definitely dying off, its red/pink and has 'fried' grey edges and is much thinner than usual and the whole tank seems reasonably cleaner, very happy with the progress.

I love Seachem :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

I too had this issue last week. What no one warned me about is this stuff will actually kill some fish at 3 times the dose. I used 2.5 times the normal dose, that is 100ML into a 280L aquarium, over a 24 hour period.

50ml first then 8 hours later after work another 50ml. Had the air pump going at full, but all the cory (corydoras) and chain loach died.

This stuff did remove the algea but at what cost? About $150.

Not happy.

Damien

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...