HELP! Urgent Advice needed

Bedge

Mr Hunkys tank .. which he out grew a while back anyway .. has sprung a leak! Its a aqua one and we only got it a year or ago .. its no longer under warrenty. greatttt.

think is has had a slow leak for a while as the stand is all bubbled.

We are in St Ives, Sydney - what should i do? I think the best bet is to get someone to come and pick him up tomorrow and look after him while i figure out to do? we dont have a spare tank .. have been trying to save money for a new one ...

help help help help!

Go to Bunnings or Kmart and get yourself a plastic tub....bigger the better. Put the fish into that for the time being, until all is fixed with the tank. Make sure you transplant everything into the tub so all that is really changing is the container that is holding the water....conditions should remain the same.

After wards, you can use the plastic tub for storage or whatever.

Good luck.

Go to Bunnings or Kmart and get yourself a plastic tub....bigger the better. Put the fish into that for the time being, until all is fixed with the tank. Make sure you transplant everything into the tub so all that is really changing is the container that is holding the water....conditions should remain the same.

Good luck.

Best option by far - that way he won't be in anyone's way or potentially hurt/get hurt by someone's fish

Good luck.

I would go the same way as well. Careful if when using heater that is does not make contact with the plastic as it will melt .

Good Luck

Gary

Thank you all so much for your reply. Plastic tub sounds like a top idea! Wouldn't the plastic be toxic somehow though? Or is it ok?

Thanks for the offer to care for him. He is huge, size of my forearm. Although - I think I may be ok for the mean time ... i think the leak will be ok for a few days .. we are eyeballing a few tanks. Hopefully we will get one in a few days.

So do you all have plastic tubs laying about? Was just pondering: what about one of those little portibal baby bath type of things???

Ho hummm. Drama drama!

Make sure the tub is sturdy and half decent, plastics now days are pretty safe. I know of a fair few people that use pastic tubs as sumps and never heard of any poisoning.

As for it melting just get a piece of glass to sit on the bottom of the tub to suction the heater to.

Offer still there if you get stuck too :thumb .

Plastic tubs are not toxic. Just use warm water to give it a good wash out.

These are commonly used for grow out tanks for fry and as stated earlier, for sumps and for emergency or hospital tanks.

I hope all goes well for you......

PS. Geez, you've got a lot of friends on Facebook!! haha.

That's great to know! I always assumed they would be harmful!

Yes, I am a facebook tart! Needless to say - they are all people that I know! Not randoms!

I have found a 3 ft by 3 ft, it sounds interesting! But not sure if it will be big enough for the big man.

Yep! About that, just the standard 4 ft type of attitude. Going to pick it up tomorrow .....

Its not perfect but beggers cant be choosers. Hunky will be so much happier with the extra fin space!

Crisis is now offically over!

We collected the tank this afternoon, although to my delight the holding tank / box had its own leak! So we had to get him in to the new tank ASAP.

Have both the eheim and a spare over hanging filter running for good measure and watching it all like a hawk. Seems ok!. Hunky is as tough as nails .. i think there is a reason this fish ended up with me.

Here's a quick clip if anyone is interested ...

Hang on, what are the tank dimentions? I asked if it was 4x2x2 & then you said yep standard 4'er. :dntknw:

There are plenty of tanks ~120cm long that vary from about 180l to like 600l - what are ALL the dimentions?

120x38x45? 120x45x45? 120x60x60 etc

oh, I hope the price you quoted was complete with stand & hood then. Also it might actually be too small for him long term, those guys can get longer than 35cm... :unsure

I keep mine in a 120cm x 60cm x 60cm tank

It was for everything, including eheim filter, light, stand, pump ladi da. Plus it was just around the corner and desperate!

Its just a short term tank. I will probablly clean up the aqua one tank, sell it on the classifieds section, save up some more money, buy bigger better tank .. and then sell the current one. hahaah.

Go as big as you possibly can when you do hey, I wish I had a 6x2 instead of my 4x2 Four feet is just too crammed for any quantity of big CAs

Yeah .. i was keen for a 5 footer, but the leak was just freaking me out to much so i just went for this one.

i would loooooooove a 6 footer! so would hunky!! we are getting there, slowly!!!

Yeah .. i was keen for a 5 footer, but the leak was just freaking me out to much so i just went for this one.

i would loooooooove a 6 footer! so would hunky!! we are getting there, slowly!!!

I have a 6x2x2 for sale with black stand and hood, 4ft double light, Has wholes for bulkheads but no bulkheads included. Sump not included either for $250.

IT is double thick glass, 10mm and 12mm glass. ex marine shark tank.

The reason for being so cheap is that it is bloody hard to move, as the tank took 4 peaople to lift it into the unit, The buyer will have to move the tank down one flight of stairs.

if interested PM

Archived