selection of species

ezat

Hey all,

I used to have a tank full of cichlids maybe 3-4 years ago but gave it all up. Since the wife has been nagging me for a tank of fish, i have got together something that is quite empty atm. I have thrown in 3 goldfish to get the cycle happening before I go out and start purchasing. Its a 2.5ft setup which is slightly higher than your standard height as well. I have opted for this due to the limited space in our townhouse so it will do for now till we move out.

My previous setup had a bunch of cichilds ranging from texas's, oscars and some electric yellows(Apologies for the non-species references) but going to a local aquarium, i have found more of an interest in africans and not american species hence this post.

Just wanted to get an opinion on what species I should add to this tank before i go spending some $$$.

Any info would be appreciated.

ezat

Hello ezat

1. What kind of filtration do you have?

2. You say african, are you after small(shell dwellers) or med size(rock dwellers)?

These are things 1 needs 2 know before hand, as the size of the tank is limited to occupants.

Rule is generally 1 fish per 10ltr of area free space, if I remember that right. You dont want to overcrowd anyhow as this would lead to more work for you, & more problems for fish(disease)/filtration(breakdown)

Not a good pic, an old 2.5fter I had many year back which done extremely well for yrs on end

IPB ImageIPB Image

Occupants, all male tank, 2-Lombardoi, 1-Ps.Saulosi, 1-Hongi(x)

Just to give you a bit of light.

Regards Symphy ;)

Hello ezat

1. What kind of filtration do you have?

2. You say african, are you after small(shell dwellers) or med size(rock dwellers)?

These are things 1 needs 2 know before hand, as the size of the tank is limited to occupants.

Rule is generally 1 fish per 10ltr of area free space, if I remember that right. You dont want to overcrowd anyhow as this would lead to more work for you, & more problems for fish(disease)/filtration(breakdown)

Not a good pic, an old 2.5fter I had many year back which done extremely well for yrs on end

IPB ImageIPB Image

Occupants, all male tank, 2-Lombardoi, 1-Ps.Saulosi, 1-Hongi(x)

Just to give you a bit of light.

Regards Symphy ;)

Thanks Symphy,

Nice tank setup btw. Mine looks pretty bland atm. :) Have a medium sized Eheim cannister filter (2217) model to be exact. I used to use this on a 4 foot with the oscar and a bunch of other fish. Its currently heated well. In terms of small or medium, this is possibly where my knowledge falls short...

Here are some pics I just took with my slr. Bit messy atm but working on it :). The goldfish are happy in their temporary home. Ill be handing them over to my sister once im done with them.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well you shouldnt have much problem with filtration.

How many litres does your tank hold?

Do you want a bunch of smaller fish or a few big fish?

Males only or do you want to have a chance to see some breed?

Ben

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I have successfully bred a few different fish a while back.. electric yellows, blues and texas cichlids. Was funny though, texas built a mountain of gravel, a type of barrier between them and the others.. it was funny but eventually moved them to their own tank.

I am not sure about how many litres.

i took some measurements.. 760L - 350W - 500H. So i believe its Length x Depth x Height of water in centimetres which i might be wrong 133 litres?

Wouldn't mind breeding something but not fussed.

ezat

Archived