Bali Fish Market. Arowanna, RTC, Clown Knife etc

Goliath

Posted this on www.aquaholics.com thought i may aswell put it on here aswell

Went to bali at end of year. Thought i would post a few picks of the fish market i went to over there much to the dismay of my girlfriend hahah.

The prices were so cheap i was frothing at the mouth haha.

big flowerhorns, arrowanas, peacock bass, frontosa, clown knife fish.

The photos are average and the tanks even worse but ill give you an idea of some of the prices.

For those who dont know Indonesian currency is Rp. and roughly 8000 rupiah is one australian dollar.

RTC. @ 20,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Clown Knife Fish @ 20,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Gars. @ 45,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Not sure what name of fish. Looked like large spiny eels and tarpon. @ 20,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Bichr. @ Cant remember but less then 50,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Red Arowanna. @ 200,000 Rp. Arowanna are a very spiritual fish in Bali.

IPB Image

Bolivian Turtles. @ 20,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Rays. @ 60,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Peacock Bass, Unknown and Frontosa @ Under 50,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Large Tarpon @ Under 50,000 Rp.

IPB Image

RTC and Plecos @ 20,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Unknown @ Under 50,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Jaguar and Plecos @ 20,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Plecos @ 20,000 Rp.

IPB Image

Unkown. Looked amazing there were so many of them in tank. Like when you see those black baby catfish schools if anybody dives.

IPB Image

Baby Arowannas @ 30,00 Rp.

IPB Image

Pirahnas

IPB Image

Larger Gars

IPB Image

Hope you all enjoyed.

If anybody has any ideas what the Unkown fish are let me know.

Cheers,

Alex

Also for sale at market. Monkeys, Large Turtles, Lots of Birds and Domestic Pets.

wow there seems to be lots and lots of fish.... just to give everyone an idea and to save time i found the following conversions

as of Wednesday, March 19, 2008

$1 AUD = 8396 IDR

:lol4:

that means the for like $23-24 you can get an Arrowanna :lol4:

RTC. for $2.40

Rays,Peacock Bass, Frontosa for around $6.00

i wish that we could get some amazing fish at amazing prices :yes:

Those catfish aren't RTC if you mean Red Tail Cats. They looked like plain ol' shovelnose to me or tigrinus. Those catfish with millions in one tank are mystus vittatus and are available in Oz.

Bruce

i dont think u would be allowed somehow..... Bali fish are not be up to scratch for aussie standards

lol not to mention none of those predatory "tankbusters" are on the import list and some are listed as noxious

i think you might the price wrong for red arowana ...at that price you wont even get the tail :p

those rays are brackish rays thats why they are so cheap, real freshwater rays cost 10x and tigrinus are not common in indo ...

the photo of the tank full of small aro's looks to be jardinis, distinctive white rim. i guess that price is possible. i would think you might have mis understood the price on the red. even a g2 red would probably sell for much more than that. il leave it to the locals to confirm prices.

for some reason i have the figures of "tens of millions" for nice aro's in indo..... have a few indo friends.

Ill email my mate Gede. Maybe it was 2,000,000 but i am sure it was not 10,000,000.

Are there many places in Bali that sell these fish? Considering the income of most balinese people and the fact this was a small market for local people im thinking prices above 1,000,000 would be wrong as nobody would buy them. If clown knife fish and gars were 2 dollars why would a red aro be $25?

the photo of the tank full of small aro's looks to be jardinis, distinctive white rim. i guess that price is possible. i would think you might have mis understood the price on the red. even a g2 red would probably sell for much more than that. il leave it to the locals to confirm prices.

for some reason i have the figures of "tens of millions" for nice aro's in indo..... have a few indo friends.

Archived