Bn in community tank

krellious

heya all.

i recently aquired a male and female bn (both about 9cm) to go with the lone male i iad in my 3ft tank. It is mostly filled with kribensis at about 4cm long. and 2 8cm clowns.

im just wondering what i have to do to get them to breed. i have 4mm gravel. A diy bristlenose cave, a cave set up in the gravel usint a large flat rock (my kribs used to spawn in it) and a white plastic cup set up as a cave. the ph is around 7 and the gh and kh are 2 and 5. though im not sure which is 2 and which is 5.

I feed them 1mm discus formula and nls wafers.

anyways is there anyting i can do to entice them to breed?

cheers

It's all about conditioning the fish,BN's should breed fairly easily,feed them some raw zuchinni,cut a slice wash it in warm water and poke a stainless steel spoon through it so it sinks,feed this every couple of days along with things like krill,wafers and even shrimp pellets,a varied diet is always best. You should have em spawning in no time if fed correctly. :yes:

Cheers dude.

i iwll have to try that when i get a chance. it just sucks that my clown loaches seem to get more time in the breeding cave then the bn do. will the mating pair... if they do decide to... kick the loaches out of the cave?

hi

bristlenoses like fast flowing water. Many people have had success breeding with the faster flowing water. Given the bristlenoses are mature and the water parameters are correct, breeding should be pretty easy. Since they are about 9cm they are probably are mature by now. Just be patient with them.

Goodluck with the breeding.

(I am waiting for my bn to breed too)

Im not sure about whether this normally happens, but I found my clown loach in the BN cave always snooping around and my big pair were never breeding. Ive stuck in a divider to keep the loach and yellows away from the caves and the have now successfully hatched eggs. When the youngsters were swimming out of the cave the yellows were eating them which is why I whacked them in on the side with the loach. I suspect the loach may have been eating the BN eggs?

• 3 weeks later...

All you are doing is suplementing the other fishes feeding with eggs and any fry that hatch. Also 2 males and 1 female will only cause the males to fight. Better to have a designated breeding tank for the bristlenose if you want succes. A 2ft tank is ample.

Regards Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived