enamel paint for back of tank?

mcsx

hey im just wondering, i got a whole lot of enamel paint in my garage just wondering is it ok to use on the back of the tank, no idea if its water or oil based as i cant seem to find anything written on the tins.

thanks mark.

i have no idea about paints, ive seen that most people seem to use acrylic water based paint, just wanna know if it will look and stick to the glass ok?.

cheers mark~

i have no idea about paints, ive seen that most people seem to use acrylic water based paint, just wanna know if it will look and stick to the glass ok?.

the only problem with enemals [oil based or water based] it can cause a lot of reflection, which could cause the fish some stress. i've always used a flat acrylic. maybe best to keep the enemal for jobs around the house. $25 for a 2ltr tin will do a few tanks

ahh ok sweet thanks for that colfish :)

so just go with a flat acrylic?

:thumbup: in any colour that rocks ya boat! :thumb

in reality though it's best to stick with mid blues/greens, flat black or "chalk board" paint.

fluoro purple or yellow might be over the top :lol3:

best applied with a roller as a thick coat, straight from the tin, do not thin it down. 2 coats should suffice

Enamel paint will be all right for the outside. Once dried it is the most durable paint besides 2pac. Depending on the enamal allow about 20 mins between each coat to allow flash off time. If you dont do this you will overload the paint allowing the coat underneath not to dry properly. In turn this will make the paint to run or even not dry for anywhere up to a week. Make sure it is warm and not to cold. Allow plenty of ventilation as well. If you want paint to be flat go to an automotive paint shop and ask for some flattening base. This will eliminate the gloss if its not desired. Usaully allow for semi gloss is 10% and for flat is 25%. This stuff is really cheap.

If you are using brush and the paint is to thick, sit the paint tin in a bucket of hot water upto 5mins and the heat will make the paint thinner. If the paint is to thick it wont flow properly or the finish will be shocking. Take your time with it and be patient and it will pay off.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gary

Archived