BLACK CALVUS

sicklidrus

hi guys/gals,

i have just acquired about 11 calvus 3M+8F from interstate, currently they are in a 6x18x18 with a partition, the pH is around 8, gh about 9, i have the 3 males with about 3 partitions in a the tank. My questions is i have setup a 6x2x2 with rocks and thought maybe if i put 3 barnicles in the 6 footer they will start breeding, i hope to get some advice to maybe keep them where they are, where they are not too happy or move them to the 6 new foot, perhaps somebody can suggest other breeding caves also would like to know what to feed them to bring them to spawn, by the way the 6x18x18 is on a side drop. I have previously lost a lot of these guys, and want to make sure these i dont loose, what about the fry as well?what is the best way to keep them alive. Any suggestions will help

cheers

gus

G’day Gus

What’s the idea with the partitions? Wouldn’t have thought you would need them with calvus. I had a breeding colony of 5 (2m/3f) and they bred regularly, feeding on NLS. Fed the fry bbs. Need lots of water changes to keep the growth rates up. You will need more than 3 barnicles! About a dozen shells/caves for that lot.

cheers

hi guys/gals,

i have just acquired about 11 calvus 3M+8F from interstate, currently they are in a 6x18x18 with a partition, the pH is around 8, gh about 9, i have the 3 males with about 3 partitions in a the tank. My questions is i have setup a 6x2x2 with rocks and thought maybe if i put 3 barnicles in the 6 footer they will start breeding, i hope to get some advice to maybe keep them where they are, where they are not too happy or move them to the 6 new foot, perhaps somebody can suggest other breeding caves also would like to know what to feed them to bring them to spawn, by the way the 6x18x18 is on a side drop. I have previously lost a lot of these guys, and want to make sure these i dont loose, what about the fry as well?what is the best way to keep them alive. Any suggestions will help

cheers

gus

oakes,

does bbs stand for brine shrimp and what types of otehr breeding caves i can make or buym and also what particular nls were you using? thanks for the help

gus

yes correct BBS is baby brine shrimp, and with breeding caves the ones that generally work are just small enough for the female to fit inside, ill post up a pic. of what the person i bought my comps off had. and they worked for him well.

IPB Image

the cave on the left, he used this with his black calvus, and had heaps of fry at the time i bought the comps.

I was using 1mm cichlid formula. Even when mature i found this sufficient, though you could perhaps try the 3mm size for large fish. They are not very heavy feeders.

I would use caves similar to the one in the photo or large shells. Go for something that is easy to retrieve and empty, for easy removal of the fry. I have also seen someone advertising pre-made alto caves in the classifieds but can’t remember who it was.

i have got a display tank with 2m3f black calvus and 1m white calvus, also some gold head and fire fins etc and some small (3cm fry) of the whites and golds in a 600+ litre tank (1 large alto tank looks great). i have about 6 large shells and some other hiding spots (smaller shells and drift wood plant structures and sunken boat) for the altos to hind and breed in.

i find them happy and just noticed a pair (1 male white calvus and 1 female black calvus) hanging out together and using one of the shells. i wont be able to keep the fry to sell but not to concerned (it just my display tank).

i feed them on NSL thera A. Also some baby brine and adult brine (frozen) shrimp every couple of days to mix it up a bit. i have only had them about 1 month and only feed the above and seems enough.

if its a display tank like mine i prefer the shells as they look more natural but as mentioned above as long as the female can get in and the male cant they will both be happy. the females get a little bit abused during the breeding ordeal by the males so just keep a eye on her.

jason

i had one pair of calvus breed in a bristlenose log, , another in a shell much smaller then the typical calvus breeding shell, and one bred in a white rock crevice

cheers

thank you oakes, mcsx and the rest. it was quite helpful, also if you come across the guys selling the alto caves, could you just reply to me, also is it ok to have the whole lot in the 6x2x2 which has a good mini reef, and what other tangs would be good tank mates?. so i then will add a few more barnacles, perhaps some shells and the caves also the one you mentioned which was to the left and see if i can get them to spawn, once i notice some activity and perhaps fry, what is the best thing to do, i mean what is a good setup, knowing i dont have a hell of a lot of time, if i could have a good second say 4x18x18 on a good setup will that do? your suggestion will be much appreciated. also will cultivating your own brine shrimp help, and do you know how i can try to do that, maybe somebody can suggest a good brine shrimp starter kit.

thanks guys

gus

yeh you could have all them in a 6x2x2 other tangs, theres so many you could have with them julidochromis are pretty good, some shellies, cyprichromis theres alot that can go with them

a good setup is generally any tank u have extra with a sponge filter, and heater, no substrate. and maybe something for them to hide in.

with the baby brines there are plenty of different things on the net for growing these guys just google it and theres Plenty im sure even if you do a search on here you will find something.

cheers mark~

Archived