Redhumps releasing fry?

Laz

Hi all, can anyone tell me how long a female Redhump holds her fry before releasing them? My female is about 6cm this is her second mouthful, the first she swallowed after 2 days. She's been holding these for 6 days now, she is in a 2 ft tank on her own and water temperature is 29c. The reports I've read vary between 7 and 12 days. How soon should I start offering food to her? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Hi Larry

As she is on her own, you could feed her now or in a few more days.

Observe her mouth if eggs have hatched or not!

If hatched you can scrunch up sum flake & feed a little, she will eat, little bit atime.

Regards

Symphy ;)

Hi Larry

As she is on her own, you could feed her now or in a few more days.

Observe her mouth if eggs have hatched or not!

If hatched you can scrunch up sum flake & feed a little, she will eat, little bit atime.

Regards

Symphy ;)

Hi Symphy, thanks for your reply. She released her fry this morning, about 15 I think, I have started feeding her as you said, things are looking good. :) Also yesterday i witnessed the male spawning with another female, they are in a community tank. How soon should I move the female into a tank on her own?

Thanks

Larry

How significant is the red on the side of the lips for sexing these guys?

My boy has 6 small ones, and 5 appear to be showing the red markings to the sides of the lips. Does this mean they are all boys?

Hi gingerbeer, I don't know, mine are quite small, the biggest 7cm and smallest about 5cm, so far the only red colouration is on the male on the ridge of his hump and a slight reddish tinge around his top lip. The other 9 aren't showing any red colouration at all yet. How big are your sons? I'm interested that yours are all showing this colouring, are the humps developing on any of them yet? I'd be surprised if all 6 turned out to be males unless you chose all the biggest fish when you bought them. Keep in touch and let me know how things go.

Cheers

Laz

Larry wrote

Also yesterday i witnessed the male spawning with another female, they are in a community tank. How soon should I move the female into a tank on her own?
Once they have finished spawning you can remove her its all upto you.

I personally leave the fem in for 1/2-1hr before removing, or, if I see the male chase her. It depends on how well the male is really. You'd be suprised how a pair can guard their young its so fascinating.

Regards

Symphy ;)

I personally leave the fem in for 1/2-1hr before removing, or, if I see the male chase her. It depends on how well the male is really. You'd be suprised how a pair can guard their young its so fascinating.

Regards

Symphy ;)

Thanks Symphy, I've left her in the community tank for the time being, but will move her out before the weekend. I didn't know that male redhumps took any part in guarding the fry. I agree it is so fascinating watching cichlids care for they're fry. Actually I think it's the best part of keeping cichlids. It's great watching the other female with her fry, whenever I drop food in the tank she rushes up and takes a few mouthfuls then swims back to her fry, chews it up for a while then spits it out for them.

Cheers

Laz

Archived