from gravel to sand?

peter-pindare

nice tank japes, something so simple like a black background makes the tank... i think i will do this, just finding the easy way to do so.

LFS style vinyl backings without a doubt, not cheap depending on where you buy it, I had to get 9 feet of the stuff because of my tanks height (you can see the seems in the first shot covered with tape) and it set me back a ridiculous $45, but they only had 24" high backing in stock so I paid a fair bit extra.

For ease of application and overall result this is definitely the best option. Painting is overall THE best, but I was worried about it, and after testing some paints and paint application substances on lids I wasn't happy with the overall result so I didn't bother and just bought the vinyl. I have no side and back access so hopefully this doesn't come off for at least a couple of years because I really don't want to have to empty the tank just to reapply it :p

hey japes i know what would look great in that tank......MORE GEOPHAGUS lol

I'm a full time uni student and most Geo's are expensive! I was actually after a trio of Pindare but I couldn't get them anywhere in QLD, so I picked up a couple of Heckelii and I think I'm going to add a Leucosticta when I find one and call it a day ;) If I had money to give away I would have just gotten a trio of Araguari/Tapajos but I can't afford to fork out $35+ on a fish I want a few of, unfortunately.

well japes thats fear enough..i have plenty of geophagus pindare fry 2 inch.... i cant seem to get rid of them in a hurry!! i suppose not many people want them cos of the lac of colour, but when they get 4-5 inch there colours come out with a nice light purple colour going through there top fins

well japes thats fear enough..i have plenty of geophagus pindare fry 2 inch.... i cant seem to get rid of them in a hurry!! i suppose not many people want them cos of the lac of colour, but when they get 4-5 inch there colours come out with a nice light purple colour going through there top fins

Yeah I really like Pindare, so much so that I spent oodles in petrol over the coarse of about 2 months looking for them, only to finally resort to getting them off Livefish.. to have them say they were out of stock and couldn't tell me when more would arrive :(

Hey Peter the tank looks great and so do your fish, I hope you post some pics when you add the background. How do your plants fare with your geos? I'd like to put some plants in my big geo community tank but was worried that they'd dig/rip them out.

Cheers

hey laz, yeah from all the time that i have had geo's, mine dont really dig them up or ripp them out...i have seen my plants out proberly 3-4 times but i just re plant them..

Hey Peter, that's encouraging, I'll give some plants a go in my 6x2x2, it's going pretty slow for me though, money's a bit tight. I don't know anything about plants, what species would be best for me to start with?

oh and laz get some pics up mate

Yeah I know, as soon as my tanks up and running I'm going to buy a good camera. I find it a bit frustrating seeing the great pics of tanks and fish that everyone is putting up and not being able to do the same. Lol, I borrowed my sister's camera and tried taking some pics of my biggest orange head, but by the time the shutter open and closed the fish was at the other end of the tank.

What sort of background are you going to use, the black looks great like the others have said, but I really like the rock/vynil/model types that are around now. They're not cheep but they look great.

Cheers

Laz

hey laz im not the best person to ask about plants...i would ask your lfs for some good rooted plants!! the plants that i got this time round are the plants that grow on driftwood , well see how that goes!!

yeah im going to put the black stick on stuff for my back ground as i would rather save up some money to buy the model background for my next 6 ft tank or 8ft tank!! but yeah your right they do look great

Archived