Ich Treatment - Salt PLUS Medication?

japes

Hey guys,

This morning I had ick appear in one of my tanks. Had some new introductions on the weekend so that's how it got in there. It first appeared mid morning and within about an hour of the spots becoming visible I up'd the temperature to 30 degrees and dosed with a White Spot treatment that actively contains Malachite Green and Formaldehyde.

I've used this before to kill Ich in a tank but the fish most effected by spots seemed to die some time later, they were juveniles admittedly. The current Ich outbreak is on my main tank so I would like to treat it as best as possible. A guide that was recommended to me suggested that I add aquarium salt (dissolved in water) at a ratio of 2 teaspoons of salt per gallon of water in the tank.

Am I safe to do this in addition to the medication (slightly underdosed), and if so, how do I actually do it? Believe it or not, I can't find a guide on doing it, do I crush the aquairum salt in a mortar and pestle and measure it out the volume, and THEN dissolve, or is there some other method. All tank members are hardy fish, South American Cichlids and Bristlenose.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Edited by japes

1g per litre ie- 300 litre tank add 300 grams of salt. If they are only SA's up the temp to 30- 32 for a week after adding salt.The only problem i see is the BN's,unless you can remove them,if not only do half of this dose. As for adding it to the water,i just pour the undissolved salt crystals straight into the tank. I also add salt to the SA tank on every 2nd or 3rd water change,does em good. :yes:

Cheers.

Does Seachem Purigen also remove medications like carbon does? I currently still have it running in one of my canisters, and if it does remove medication, how would I go about redosing with the Ich treatment?

30% Waterchange, remove purigen, redose? It's meant to be dosed every 3 days.

Edited by japes

Cheers.

Does Seachem Purigen also remove medications like carbon does? I currently still have it running in one of my canisters, and if it does remove medication, how would I go about redosing with the Ich treatment?

30% Waterchange, remove purigen, redose? It's meant to be dosed every 3 days.

Not sure on this as i don't use it,nor have i ever used Malachite Green/Whitespot treatment,only ever salt and higher temps.

Anyone?

Redosed yesterday after a 50% water change with the same Malachite Green treatment, but was the last dose of it I could do before needing another bottle.

Ended up swapping over to a Protozin based product which I had heard good things about, did a 50% waterchange prior to dosing it. Looking back on it, I really should have stuck with the same product because of mixing medications etc. but I did this prior to lunch time and everone has been quite happy since.

Also added 1gram/L of Aquarium Salt and the heat is up to 30-31 degrees. Have the spraybar creating a huge audible rippling sound with plenty of surface agitation to keep the water well oxygenated with the medication and extra heat.

Checked just before and it would appear as though the parasites are going into the phase where they drop off the host and multiply, and have a required dosing tomorrow morning, so hopefully they've all dropped off by the time that goes in and it absolutely nukes the buggers.

Cheers guys.

Edited by japes

Protozin should do the trick, i have found it to be effective and have used it for some time now instead of the old malachite green/formaldehyde formulations. It is also not supposed to harm your biological filtration (at least that is the manufacturer's claim!) unlike the other.

As of last night all of the visible white spots have dropped off. The dosing requirements for the Waterlife Protozin treatment I'm using state to dose on days 1, 2, 3 and 6. Today was dose 2, after most of the parasites had dropped off to encyst. Have I timed this treatment perfectly with the Ich cycle? My current knowledge indicates that I'm in the middle of dosing right when the invisible parasites are most vulnerable. All fish still seem quite healthy and happy so hopefully I'm past the worst of it.

Will keep you all updated.

I wouldn’t be concerned about what stage of their cycle the ich are in, most likely they are or were present in all stages. The six-day treatment is long enough to cover the entire life cycle at normal tropical temps, so you will get them all regardless. I have never had to do a consecutive treatment with Protozin for ich, but just keep an eye on your fish after the treatment period.