Tanganyikan setup?

noddy

Hi All,

I am thinking of setting up a Tanganyikan tank. i have had other rift lake tanks in the past housing Malawians & victorians but have decided to give tanganyikans a go. the fish I was looking at putting in the tank are as follows. I am looking for suggestions from others with better knowledge on stocking levels and compatibility or other general suggestions. I want to learn as much as I can about the tank before i put a drop of water in. Tank setup as follows:

Fish:

Altolamprologus calvus black

Eretmodus cyanostictus kapampa

Julidochromis dickfeldi

Paracyprichromis nigripinnis "blue neon"

Synodontis

Bristlenose

220ltr tank (48"lx14"wx20"h)

1 eheim 2217 (i have a second 2217 if more filtration is required)

All suggestions welcomed. Please feel free to tell me that I have no idea as I want to get it right for the sake of the fish.... an my wallet...

Cheers

Trav

Hi,

Thats a lot of Tangs for a tank that size and the combination is not the best.

Generally its better not to cram in so many species with a Tang tank, they like more room and do better with their own space.

The alto's, julies and Paracyps would generally use the same niche in the tank, i.e rockwork, shelves etc. I'd go for an alto and julie OR alto and Paracyp.

The tank is too smalll for synos and if you wanted to spawn them? there are no mouth brooders to accomodate. SAyno are also very active at night and likely to sppok the other tankmates.

I haven’t had a lot of experience with gobies, so can't comment.

HTH

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thats a lot of Tangs for a tank that size and the combination is not the best.

Generally its better not to cram in so many species with a Tang tank, they like more room and do better with their own space.

The alto's, julies and Paracyps would generally use the same niche in the tank, i.e rockwork, shelves etc. I'd go for an alto and julie OR alto and Paracyp.

The tank is too smalll for synos and if you wanted to spawn them? there are no mouth brooders to accomodate. SAyno are also very active at night and likely to sppok the other tankmates.

I haven’t had a lot of experience with gobies, so can't comment.

HTH

Grant

I personally think that having that many fish in a tank that size is fine. I have around 16 tanganyikan fish in a standard 3 ft tank.

2 Adult Alto Calvus, 5 juvenile Alto Calvus, 1 Compressicep, 3 Neo Brichardis, 1 Lelupi, 1 Julidichromis, 1 Leptosoma and 2 Juvenile Moba Frontosas

Yes, it is overstocked but i have a dominant julidichromis maleri which is larger than most of the other fish and the aggression is distributed evenly amongst a slightly overcrowded tank. I only have a 1000L an hr filter running, but its all about the water changes.

Water changes of at least one fifth of the water per week works fine with me. All my fish are very healthy.

Also many of my fish will be moved into a larger tank when they grow a little more, either for breeding reasons or for size reasons.

No offense but that is not a good mix. I would not recommend that to anyone especially if those Brichardi decide it is time to breed. No amount of filtration and water changes will help the aggression levels. Also leptosoma are schooling fish and prefer schools of 10-12 minimum with tank heights above 18" . Not to mention the Fronnies, well we all know the tank sizes that they like and their preferred food source (lepto's). At the end of the day you can keep whatever fish you like together but there will be consequences best of luck with your mix

Cheers

rosco

I'm no expert, but a single gobie shouldn't be too aggressive to other species, I thought. A pair or more is a different story.

I'd drop the syno's as well

You could go with Grant's suggestion of Alto's and julies or paracyps, and maybe add some shellies. With the altos, you might not get many fry out of them, but if its just for looks, should be fine. Shellies like multis or occies should be OK. My caudopunks are pretty placid, but I've heard of others who have had really aggressive pairs when breeding. You could consider them too.

A bristlenosed would be OK in there as well I'd say.

Bruce

Archived