few shell dwellers and nigripinnis

parkesg

hey Arj,

yeah these are yours, I think she wasn't happy with me taking pics and also guarding her fry. There are about 50 nigs in the tank and she is quite cautious of them at the moment, I am sure she will settle in and lighten up. She has only been in the tank about 4 weeks. You can see the fry are already a good yellow at about 5mm :wub ... really awesome quality golds.

Grant

very nice Grant, great shots and the fry well aren't they just the cutest. :wub

The occies I recently got are starting to settle in a little more with the girls really lightening up (I have 4 definites girls now). They are quite cranky when I move shells around and bite me :lol3: , but both the males are still marked like yours. They are only in a relatively small tank, and quarantined from my main system. This is until I have my 4x2x2 up and running. I will see how they go in 3 weeks when I add their tank back into my main system with better water quality. I suspect that they will improve all the fish I have quarantined this way have. If not I may have to split them up into trios or even I may put an order in Arj :thumb , gold occies are close to my fav in shellie world (it is still hard to go past the blacks).

cheers

Rosco

Edited by rosco

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

thanks for the positive comments.

I only recently got the gold ocies from Arj :wub and they have spawned a few times since I have had them. The first time in a 6*2*2 with sandsifters so I removed the fry. I then moved the pair into the nigripinnis tank and they spawned again.

When they first hatched in the nig tank there was a lot, about 20+, I thought I'd leave them in the tank as it is about 2*2 floorspace. About 6 weeks later there are only 4, so if they spawn again I will collect the fry, just to have a backup as they are so nice. Eventually I'd like to leave them in the tank with the adults as I love seeing the natural behaviour.

The nigripinnis will have a little go at the fry when they are a few days old, and they are still a bit weak. After that they start to swim within the group and are fine. When a female spits in the tank if she was to have 10 fry, over half survive, which is plenty as its a large colony. I have always loved the nigs, very subtle gentle fish that you can step breed.

I have been breeding these for years, I got normal nigripinnis and crossed with albino, my current adults are fry from this combination. Now I have "normal" looking nigs that produce albino fry, so is very interesting. I find the albinos are quite strong compared to albino x albino.

Grant

I have been breeding these for years, I got normal nigripinnis and crossed with albino, my current adults are fry from this combination. Now I have "normal" looking nigs that produce albino fry, so is very interesting. I find the albinos are quite strong compared to albino x albino.

Now that is cool and as nature probably intended well done Grant. How many would you ned to start a good colony and what tank size would be best for nigripinnis.

cheers

rosco

Edited by rosco

Hey Rosco,

I think 5-8 is a good start, 2m3f or 3m 5f.

I have always kept them in a small tank, I had the last colony in a 2*2*2 with a small Ehiem canister and they did well. The current tank is a Aqua One Monarch 80 about 175 liters and are doing very well. It is basically a species tank + a pair of the gold occies. I have tried them in a community, cyps altos, sandsifters etc but they never did well. As they are very gentle and peaceful a species works best and you can enjoy the fry in the same tank. I think there is about 6 males and 10-12 females + about 50-70 fry.

cheers

Grant