Sump or Eheim 2260

Davo

I am about to buy a 6x2x2.5 tank that will be set up for geos and discus. I already have the cabinet and when I bought the cabinet it came with a brand new 4ft sump. The sump has 2 x spinning arms and sufficient bio balls for both spinning arms. I would also probably have to have some extra chambers built in the sump for other media, pond matrix etc which is also another added cost. The problem is that I have always had eheim filters and as they probably the best cannister filters around I am tossing up whether to buy a Eheim 2260 and sell the sump.

I would have to buy a largish pump (7000-9000 litre) for the sump and also have to have 1 or 2 weirs and bulkheads built in the tank when I get it built. Obviously the weir/s/bulkheads will add $50-130 and the pump $200-$300 plus the extra media which could be costly regarding the cost of Seachem matrix etc.

I am also concerned regarding the amount of noise that the sump may generate, will I need a durso? I know that the eheim cannisters are really quiet. Another factor is will one Eheim 2260 be enough for the tank which will hold approx 810 litres. Another factor is the running cost of both options. The Eheim 2260 is rated at 65w and a 7000/9000lt pump ie. Laguna Maxflo is 100w.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated as I want to get the best filtration for the tank.

Dave.

I understand your concerns........sort of. :blink

You want to pay $620 for an Eheim 2260 without any filter media because it has a maximum flow rate of 2400 litres per hour. Where as you only have a perfect good sump with all the the bio media you need. Well on second thoughts no, it doesn't make sense to me. :lol1:

If you haven't gathered I personally would be utilising the sump. :lol4:

An Eheim 1262 pump gives you 3400 litres per hour (50% more than the cannister) for only $250 or Laguna PowerJet Max-Flo 7500 litres per hour for $219. You don't necessarily need to use a weir, you could simply drill and plumb the bulkheads into the thank for approx $80 including all the fittings and with some good negotiating when ordering the tank possibly even cheaper.

My choice save the money and spend it on a Universal Background.

Cheers

Ross

PS sump will allow you to hide a heater / also easier for water changes and cleaning.

Edited by hobcas

Ross,

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the sump but was interested in the eheim 2260 as they are on ebay at the moment and just went for $375 new without the media. I think the idea of having no weirs is a good one but will the bulkheads be quiet. I will probably go for a large pump, up to 9000 litres.

Dave.

Dave,

the eheim 2260 as they are on ebay at the moment and just went for $375

That seems to be an awesome price, I haven't priced them in a while, maybe they have come down in price. :dntknw:

will the bulkheads be quiet

The bulkheads wont make a sound........but the water flowing through them might. :lol1: I supposse it comes down to your tolerance for noise, where the tank will be placed etc. For me I have two young kids, 3 televisions and like the sound of running water so it's not too noisy. (my pump seems louder than the water flow)

The noise stems from air trying to escape and there are differrent ways to reduce the noise such as:

• Alter the flow rates- by installing a gate valve
  • Install bigger output holes- more flexible configuration
  • Add an air release- by inserting small-diameter tubing at the highest point in the line to allow trapped air a route of escape
I will probably go for a large pump, up to 9000 litres.

One thing to consider with such a large pump is not allowing your sump to run dry, you need to find a balance between output and input. To cater for 9000 litres per hour you would need a big hole or multiple holes. I believe that a 1.5 inch inside diameter hole gets you a maximum of 2400 liters over flow, so there's some food for thought. (please check my calculations though)

Hope this helps a little bit more

Ross

Edited by hobcas