What now?

juddo

As of last night my thank of Acei and EY were acting a little strange. This morning i have 1 Acei with a mouth full. I'm new to all of this so could i get some advice on what i should do with her now. Do i remove her to a holding tank? Do i strip her if so when and how?

Thanks Kaz.

First thing is to determine if the EY and Acei have cross bred. Then if so, do you really want to keep the hybrid fry??

When you say they were acting a little strangely do you mean with each other as a mixed species or as male and female of the same species??

In other words, is there a chance that two separate species have cross bred?

There is alot of Acei in the thank and EY pair. The EY male was not with the Acei at the time of spawning. He was trying to show to his girl. So i'm sure they have not cross bred. I had only put the flat rock in the tank 10 min and that got the action going. These fish have breed well of their last owner. I have only had them 2 weeks. They are the starting block of the 8' tank. The hubby is in QLD looking for more stock while he is up there. As i find them hard to find here. We have a few contacts up there.

Sounds like better news to me.

If they haven't cross bred then hopefully you're in for some Acei fry.

I think the best option is to separate the female in to her own tank so she can spit the fry when she's ready.

If this can't be done then wait two to three weeks and then strip the female and keep the fry in a safe frysaver or a separate growout tank.

Best of luck with the babies!!

hi juddo if you dont have a grow out tank you will need to find a fry saver with reeeeeeeally little slits, cause my acei fry can fit through the slits in the one i brought :(

just curious, I have my acei and E.yellows in together too is cross breeding really common :confused:

Thanks for the advice guys :thumbup: I do have a tank they can grow up in but there is 1 to 2 cm fry in there to they came with the purchase of the tank and big fish. The tank has a sump like setup on the end that is where the last owner raised them up.

Would moving the f with mouthfull stress her into droping or eating them?

Moonie very good question. Do they cross breed?

If you can catch the female quickly and painlessly, then no, it won't stress her out. She'll be more likely to swallow the eggs if firstly, it's her first batch and there's not much you can do about that and secondly, if she's being relentlessly hassled by the dominant male. That's why she'll do a lot better if she's on her own and not being stressed out by over eager males.

Make sure that if you place her in her own tank, that the water in there is exactly the same as where she came out from. Once she spits the fry, you can return her back to the main tank. Give her a few hours or a day to slowly recover and maybe feed her a little before putting her back with the main colony.....remember, she'll be a bit weak as she probably hasn't eaten in a few weeks so take it easy and slowly when you're handling her and returning her to her main tank.

Any fish that breeds in the same manner can cross breed...ie. E.yellows can cross breed with Acei's, although it's not very common...remember, nothing in nature is set in stone, anything can happen.

There are a few clips on YouTube showing E.yellows breeding with Pseudotropheus Zebras......nothings impossible.

Thanks for that info. I moved her to holding tank. As it turns there was three more holding 1 of them spat 9 fry free swimmers when i cought her, i lost her back in the tank as she jumped out of the net. I'll strip the other three in two weeks.

If they have crossed bred i'll then feed the bubs to the oscars im sure they will love them.

At what size can i sell them and how much?

I have some (10) between 6 to 8 cm that i want to get rid of. Not sure of sexes. Will pet shops by them?

Congrats on the spawn I thank personal satisfaction and enjoyment are the greatest value. I would estimate you could get $1.00 - $2-00 a cm.

I think at a minimum of 3cm they would be o.k. to sell, obviously the bigger the fish and if they were a proven breeding colony they would fetch more.

Like anything commercial the market sets the price, it is a case of supply and demand. Acei are reasonably easy to source where I live however if they are scarce in your area then who knows how much.

Cheers

Ross

Archived