Malnourished Looking Fish

BOG6ON

G'day everyone.

Some of my cichlids look like they are malnourished, and their stomaches are sunken in. All the affected fish are eating well with a mixture of live food and flakes. The fish do not seem to be bothered by it. It seems to spreading to the other fish in my tank, both juvenile and adults. One of my mates who is a breeder said that it could be worms and said to feed them crushed garlic as well as their normal food and have done, but if this doesn't work i don't know what to do! If any body has any ideas or any clue what it could be please let me know because i don't want to loose any of my fish. :cryblow:

Thanks Luke

You could try feeding NLS Thera A as it contains garlic however I don't think this is going to work as much as a treatment and it will as a preventative. You need a worm medication.

Bruce

A little bit more information on what type of cichlids you are keeping, how long you have had them, what sort of live food you feeding them etc may help us give a more definitive answer.

Things such as wether they are SA, Tangs, mouthbrooders, live bearers etc have a lot of bearing on any advice that can be given.

Cheers

Ross

I had the same issue with my Yellows and maingano. I treated with wormer initally but not much success due to the fact they were not taking in food (they were spitting it out) so the wormer soaked food had no effect. So I isolated them and treated the water with Metro and started feeding them metro (1/2 tablet for one feed) soaked food for 3 weeks. I did 50 % water changes a week and a full dosage of metro (1 200miligram tablet per 40litres) for 3 weeks. I have had a 75% recovery rate from the time I started with the metro regime. Most have stomaches back with still 2-3 dodgy ones that I will continue to treat. I am going to feed them Metro soaked food for once a week for a couple more weeks to help them recover fully.

cheers

rosco

I'll start this post with a disclaimer....I'm no VET and look forward to correction or a more accurate explanation

I thought Metro was more commonly used to treat protozoans and or bacterial infections as appossed to worms, both of these organisms are common in wasting disease and loss of appetite is a symptom...

Worms in the aquarium are reasonably harmless because generally in our aquariums the other hosts required to complete the parasitic life cycle are absent, so they would eventually die off.

Any thoughts?

Ross again I am not Vet either but that is my understandng as well :thumb . If the fish are eating try a wormer first but if they are taking it in and spitting it out the wormer will be ineffective unless to dose the tank. Do the fish have white stringy poo if so their stomaches are not working properly. Recently I have bought several leptosma back from potential wasting by catching that symptom with Metro. The cause was me not watching water conditions carefully enough the incoming water was acidic to netural and unstable as opposed to alkaline and stable. So the pH and kH dropped over time in all my tanks. They are slowly getting better.

cheers

rosco

Archived