<OT> New Babies!

Paulochromis

Hi everyone, :raisehand: we're not just ADDICTED to cichlids but look at these babies... Aren't they cute?!!!

IPB Image

Names are Opal, Topaz & Marina

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Got them yesterday. They are eating about 30 crickets/day & are starting on greens. Greedy buggers!

:thumbup:

how hard is it to keep these guys? is it an expensive hobby? a lot of maintenance?

seems like it could be a lot of fun and interactive...

The intial setup is quite expensive but then again our latest tropheus tank cost probably 3 times that. Once you've got them settled and established, the costs won't be too bad, unless you have to pay the vet a visit! Not sure yet how easy they'll be to keep. We only got them yesterday. It has been said that beardies are the best reptile to start with because they are quite hardy. So, we'll keep our fingers crossed. I really got them for my 10-year old son and my wife, so they'll be the ones that will be doing the maintenance. :p:thumbup:

how hard is it to keep these guys? is it an expensive hobby? a lot of maintenance?

seems like it could be a lot of fun and interactive...

Your set up looks very cool :thumbup:

Yogie you also need to obtain a licence to keep reptiles about $60 a year.....I think or maybe it was for 2 years, mmm maybe 5 :dntknw:

I tried to get my son (9) to convince my wife we needed to keep snakes / lizards / turtles / frogs but she saw completley through this, so cichlids it is.......ATM :p

I tried to get my son (9) to convince my wife we needed to keep snakes / lizards / turtles / frogs but she saw completley through this, so cichlids it is.......ATM :p

One of the reasons for getting the beardies is my soon-to-be-10-year-old son.

He loves animals, but doesn't find that he can interact with the 9 tanks of cichlids we have!

You have to be 10 to hold a license in NSW, so my wife got the license before Christmas last and the three specimens (Topaz, Marina & Opal) are in her name. When Kyle turns 10, we'll get him a license and transfer one to him as a kind of 'coming-of-age' ritual. The license will mean he's on the books in the 'adult' world, with some real responsabilities.

Costs:

Enclosure ~ $500

Animals ~$50-300ea

Consumables < $30/month

Time:

negative - Chopping up greens, powdering crickets, scooping poop 30-60 mins/day

positive - live animal interaction 60-90 mins/day ==> BIG smiles on everyones' faces

Maths works for us!

Cheers, Paul.

Archived