Which disease?

newcichlid

Hi All

Just wanted to know if anyone knows what sort of disease is this and whether it is infectious.

Yesterday, 2 of 3 EY died. The symptoms before they died were stop eating and sits at the bottom near a corner. After they died, i did a 50% water change.

At the moment, my calvus are swimming and eating happily and so is the female EY.

pH 8.6

gH 12

No ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/n...id/IMG_1841.jpg

The spot is near the middle lower fin

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/n...id/IMG_1842.jpg

Picture links have been fixed.

Righto well the page image urls don't work but i had an Electric Yellow die with similar symptoms i would say this could be bloat. In this case go to the vet tomorrow and get them to prescribe you some metrondinozole. I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling but its what you need to treat it.

Righto well the page image urls don't work but i had an Electric Yellow die with similar symptoms i would say this could be bloat. In this case go to the vet tomorrow and get them to prescribe you some metrondinozole. I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling but its what you need to treat it.

Is every disease these days bloat? :blink

Try fix the pics up mate and we'll be able to give you a better idea of what is wrong and the steps you need to follow..

lol well bloat is the most common disease so i have heard. My electric yellows showed the same symptoms because my acei had bloat then died. My Yellows got it and one died about 20 minutes ago. From bloat that is.

Hate to say but this issue has been visited quite a few times and always with yellows and never with a tested solution.

If your yellows are getting fungus like patches that peel or hollow reddish necrotic patches on them (a little hard to tell in the pics) then it sounds like this same mystery illness.

Its only a guess, but it is likely a bacterial or fungal infection so without knowing what it is you could try the broadest spectrum anti fungal and anti bacterial medications you can find and hope.......

It looks like possibily some form of internal parasitic infection or worms. If it is worms then Metro is no good you will have to use something that has praziquantel and/or levamisole as active ingredient. Those fish don't look bloated and I don't think that bloat not all that common sorry.

It has been explained to me a bit like this: We worm dogs, cats, horses and livestock but not fish and why not? HMMM who knows :dntknw: . Especially given fish our feed all sorts of frozen food and who knows what has creeped into the food. The trouble is if you worm them there is a distinct possiblity that all the worms will die at once and could cause the death of the fish anyhow. I have not really started a worming routine yet but I am tempted. Worming was one of the things I tried when my fish were wasting but it didn't help :no:

Also what have you been feeding these fish? If you have feed them blood worms or something like that it could have caused the problem. Yellows are mainly herbivious and things like blood worms have a way of tearing up soft guts of mbunas. I saw this once with some of my fish, and although never proven, the only change was that as "treat" I feed them frozen blood worms before i found what they could do. They also looked like that they had exploded out of their side.

Not much help but maybe something to work with.

cheers

rosco

It isnt bloat.

If the marks on the may not have even been what it died from.

Bloat wouldn't be the biggest killer of our fish. I have had hundreds of fish die over the years and i would say that none of them died from bloat. 95% of my fish have died because of something I have done or havent done and thats the reality of our hobby

Josh

Archived