Looking for something relatively Placid

Ong Bak

Hi all,

I've been on here for about 2 months, just trawling through the topics and trying to absorb a bit of the knowledge here before I ask any questions ;)

I've recently picked up a 3ft tank after a few years out of the hobby, and am trying to plan what to stock it with. I'd love to have cichlids of some description, but also keep a bit of a community flavour. When I was in high school I had a pair of Kribensis that did well in the community tank, and bred fairly consistently. So basically I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a cichlid with a similar temperament as a Krib, but different :)

Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Kribensis are ideal for this purpose, but you could try a pair of blue or bolivian rams or other dwarf SA's. A bit more challenging to breed & raise though. Also it depends on the other fish you want to keep in there. A pair of mid-size cichlids like blue acaras would be ok with a few large dither fish such as rainbowfish or large tetras.

You could have a pair of Discus in their with Blue or Butterfly Rams, Pencil Tetras as-well-as Longfin Zebra Danios would look great.

A few plants & small caves breeding would be all over the place.

Regards Symphy ;)

Kribensis are ideal for this purpose, but you could try a pair of blue or bolivian rams or other dwarf SA's. A bit more challenging to breed & raise though. Also it depends on the other fish you want to keep in there. A pair of mid-size cichlids like blue acaras would be ok with a few large dither fish such as rainbowfish or large tetras.

I like the idea of giving rams a try, how do they do with other fish like bristlenoses and so on?

I'm not too keen on discus, I don't mind looking at them, but I prefer more active fish like the kribs, looks like I might be trying kribs again :)

I was also looking at "Purple Kribs" or Pelvicachromis taeniatus are these available in Australia at all?

http://www.rva.ne.jp/apisto/jpg/20050116/21881-9902.jpg

or

http://www.rva.ne.jp/apisto/jpg/20050116/21881.jpg

Thanks again,

Nick

*edited to remove imgs

Edited by Ong Bak

I was also looking at "Purple Kribs" or Pelvicachromis taeniatus are these available in Australia at all?

Thanks again,

Nick

The Nigerian Red and Greens come up on the Bayfish stocklist from time to time but the nicer morphs like Dehane and Moliwe are much harder to find. I tried 12-18 months ago and gave up. You could try Slippery Little Suckers in Kingsford to see if they are doing any imports in the near future.

Edited by Skippy

I like the idea of giving rams a try, how do they do with other fish like bristlenoses and so on?

Rams are fine with b/n's and other peaceful community fish. They will also not disturb plants. They do require clean stable water conditions. I would not add them to a new tank until it was well and truly cycled and established.

The Nigerian Red and Greens come up on the Bayfish stocklist from time to time but the nicer morphs like Dehane and Moliwe are much harder to find. I tried 12-18 months ago and gave up. You could try Slippery Little Suckers in Kingsford to see if they are doing any imports in the near future.

Thanks, I've never looked at importing/ordering fish, i'd imagine the price would blow out pretty signifigantly yes? I might still give those guys a call to get an idea of what the cost would be though, Thanks!

On that note though are there any other forums you recommend looking at to see if anyone may have some breeding in the Sydney area? I'm quite keen on their colours :)

Thanks again for all the help and info!

On the American side of things, Bolivian and German Blue Ram's make excellent additions to community tanks.

Other slightly larger Dwarf Acara's are also fine, though I wouldn't keep even the larger Tetra with Blue Acara (Not a dwarf) like suggested. Rainbows would be fine but I'd keep it an all American tank personally.

I keep a couple of Cleithacara maronii "Keyhole Cichlids". They're not exactly the most colourful Cichlids out there but they've got great personality. Laetacara dorsigerus are getting around up here in Queensland as of late, also known as the Red Breast Acara, another dwarf Cichlid with a pleasant nature. Laetacara curviceps aka "Flag Cichlids" is a similiar alternative. These guys grow to about 3-4" and won't bother smaller Tetra.

You could also look into some of the smaller Geophagus species, there are a few different 6-7" species that would be great additions to a community but I'd stray away from it in a 3' personally, however it's up to you.

Personally I'd stick with a few Blue Rams and have a nice solid shoal of whatever Tetra takes your fancy, and have about 6 or so Corydoras as well.

Edited by japes

Thanks for all the input guys.

I saw on another forum that SLS was selling their Dehane and Moliwe for around 120/140 a pair when they last had them. Thats a bit more than I am willing to invest at the moment. I'd like to get back into the groove a bit before I start outlaying too much on the fish :)

I think I will give Kribensis a run again as they are fairly easy, and I've had experience with them before, and maybe look at something more exotic later on. Has anyone here kept the Albino Kribs? I saw some on lifefish.com.au but from the looks of their photo the albinos are kind of sad looking.

Anyway thanks again!

Nick

Hi again,

For fear of appearring to be a bit of a frog on a hot rock, I havee kept looking at other fish whilst the tank is cycling through. Harking back to Skippy mentioning the bayfish lists, I went and had a look and my curiosity was really set off by NANOCHROMIS DIMIDIATUS,

IPB Image

I also saw on rarecichlids some pics that showed them as quite a deep orange, either way I find them quite appealling and would love to get some.

So before I start ringing around fish shops and stuff, does anyone reccomend an aquarium on the north shore in syd that deals with bayfish?(or am I asking a stupid question and they all do?) :)

And on a similar note has anyone else kept them/ or has an idea of the cost of them?

Again thanks in advance guys and sorry to be wobling back and forth, just the selection is sometimes almost as fun as the keeping :)

Nick.