Discus freaking out

Willy Wombat

So I got some lovely new discus the other day (4 fish - about 8-10cm) but I am frustrated that they have not settled into the tank well. When i come home from work i sneak up on the tank and have observed the fish swimming happily around the tank, but as soon as i get close to the tank they all "freak out" and smash into the tank walls and end up hiding under a piece of drift wood.

I have plenty of dither fish (rainbows and tetras).

Also the discus are not eating much as they go into shchitzo mode whenever i come close and wont feed. The rainbows and tetras on the other hand are very well fed as they guts all the food (frozen brine, flake and pellets).

I think I have had some success in gettign them to eat frozen discus dinner (but I havent observed this personally yet - as i drop a few blocks in the tank before leaving for work - which are gone when I come home)

What to do :shock: - Is this just a time thing or will they stay jumpy like this for ages? My major concern is the food thing, as I will be mortified if they waste away... Anyone got advice?

Grrr

I don't know much about discus but my friend has some that did the same thing for months and never wasted and never seemed to eat, they are all happy and eating now. maybe leave the lights off for a few days or even cover the tank with a blanket during the day or night that might settle them in.

cheers

rosco

Hey Willy

When i first got my discus they did the same thing. They should eventually get used to it

you can try putting lots of grassy plants that will give them somewhere to hide

if they have lots of hiding spots they are more likley to come out and not be so skittish

HTH

Jay

well im not sure but alot of fish are like this, i had my frontosa's extremely jumpy, and wouldent feed very much for a few months, after that they settled in and now eat like crazy and dont fly for cover everytime i come close or walk by.

Only time I've had this problem is when the tank is too low to the ground with adults or when the fish have a fluke problem.

Never had any probs with the "no cover for them thing" as they are all kept in bare tanks.

Hopefully they settle for you. Also the more you have the less shy they will be.

Mate, I once brought home 4 turks about the same size and put them into my 5x2x2. I had 2 massive driftwood pieces and a fair few swords and val. They settled in pretty much the moment I put them in except for one! He lay on the gravel black :shock: so I just hoped and sure enough he came around and the happy foursome swam in unison and boy was I happy , looked great!

My advice is to make sure water temp is no less than 29 , have cool structures made from driftwood and plants for refuge .....they will have no choice but to be fine in a couple of days if all above is in place.

:raisehand:

Edited by Out of Africa

Discus are a more delicate fish that should be introduced slowly. Minimal to no light for the first day or so.

IMO I wouldn't keep rainbow fish(AU natives) with Discus, as they can be dashy, especially around spawning time. They also are very aggressive feeders.

Discus like to take there time when feeding, so I would highly recommend "observing" this. At the age you have purchased them, they really require feeding on a regular basis 3-5 times per day to grow nicely. Discus have a big appetite, although can go with just a small piece of food for days.

They should settle in eventally. I wish you the best with them.

Regards Symphy ;)

Discus are a more delicate fish that should be introduced slowly. Minimal to no light for the first day or so.

IMO I wouldn't keep rainbow fish(AU natives) with Discus, as they can be dashy, especially around spawning time. They also are very aggressive feeders.

Discus like to take there time when feeding, so I would highly recommend "observing" this. At the age you have purchased them, they really require feeding on a regular basis 3-5 times per day to grow nicely. Discus have a big appetite, although can go with just a small piece of food for days.

They should settle in eventally. I wish you the best with them.

Regards Symphy ;)

Damn - I got beat to it. I agree I also wouldn't keep any fast moving fish such as rainbows with discus.

I would make sure there were bulk places to hide.

Any dither fish such as the mentioned tetras won't be able to eat all the food if they are not in huge numbers - couple of dozen say, and won't be so frantic with their feeding.

Feed some live foods such as wrigglers, once the tetras have their fill, there wriggling motions will temp the discus like nothing else, and they won't die in the tank, though you may become first link in the food chain with those that hatch out :thumbup: .

Thanks guys for these tips - the rainbows must go as they are food pigs! 2 of the 4 discus have started eating (observed them on the weekend) but still worried about the other 2 as they are getting bullied by the stronger fish. Oh for another tank!