Aulonocara "Firefish"

GTR73

I'm sure they're linebred

How are you sure?

I'd guess they use other "quicker" (and possibly less ethical) ways of producing that colour, rather than many many years of linebreeding, which I doubt could ever produce that colour.... :roll:no:

Sensational looking fish and nice pictures to look at, but I hope they never make it over here, like similar ones have in the past.

I'm sure they're linebred

How are you sure?

Well ethics aside they are certainly a brilliant looking fish of that there is no doubt.

I have just wasted far too much time reading through the German forums and here is what I can conclude: (if you can believe anything you read and even more so if you can rely on german to english translators) is this is certainly a line bred fish. It is the "creation" of a guy who goes by the name Thomas Seifert, he and the president of the German Cichlid Society assure people that this fish is not sourced internationally nor fed any colour enhancers.

The history of it goes back to to a "Mutation" from the year 1996 in a male cichlid either a Aulonocara redflush or a Pseudotropheus zebra-estherae, this was then line bred through various strains of Aulonocara.

I do not understand why........ the only conclusion I can come up with is "those crazy Germans". Why do they muddy the waters trying to give these fish scientific sounding names.....just call it a Fire fish and leave it at that.

I hope this gives an insight.

Cheers

Ross

Edited by hobcas

There you go. The guy who created it stated it could be the result of a hybrid to begin with. A lot of those electric blue freaky things on the site look to be hybrids from peacocks and lithobates as well.

I don't buy the "no colour enhancers" for a second either :lol2:

Then again, why wouldn't we believe ze Germans? They've never tried to create linebred species before (oh except for the human race :roll )......

Labradoodles are hybrids and they make great pets.

Actually Labradoodles, Snoodoodles, Chihuahuas and Irish Wolf Hounds are examples of line breeding of a single species Canis lupus, so the product of any doggie love :wub are not hybirds even if they have funny names.

I guess it's one of those great debates, isn't it?

Eureka Reds and Red Zebs are examples of linebreeding and over the years they've been some of the most popular cichlids around. Not to mention the most sought after examples of Electric Yellows are usually the most overall bright-yellow fish, which are the result of the breeder trying to get them that way.

Mind you, these Firefish don't appeal to me, a little too artificial looking.

But it's funny what's acceptable and what's not.

Actually Labradoodles, Snoodoodles, Chihuahuas and Irish Wolf Hounds are examples of line breeding of a single species Canis lupus, so the product of any doggie love :wub are not hybirds even if they have funny names.

That may be partly so. :clap

Although to call a labradoodle anything other than a hybrid or crossbreed is in fact a falsehood, as I'm sure you're aware they do not breed true and so are an incomplete breed love. :wub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labradoodle

I think you should say sorry. :cryblow:

Edited by bilbok

That may be partly so. :clap

Although to call a labradoodle anything other than a hybrid or crossbreed is in fact a falsehood, as I'm sure you're aware they do not breed true and so are an incomplete breed love. :wub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labradoodle

I think you should say sorry. :cryblow:

Depends on your definition of hybrid doesn't it. Are we talking interspecific hybrids or intra-specific hybrids? :dntknw: . Since this is a cichlid forum and interspecific cichlid hybrids are what cichlid keepers usually talk about and some are suggesting the firefish is, that's what I'm talking about.

I will agreed that a labradoodle or cockapoo is a crossbred Canis lupus i.e. intra-specific or mongrel or heinz dog (57 different varieties) but it's not a hybrid in the same way as a flowerhorn or blood parrot.

PS: Don't hold your breath waiting for me to say sorry.

Hey GTR, the closest thing going around Oz to these are Aulonocara 'Dragon Blood', i reckon they are crossbreed but il leave that to everyone else to debate... lol ;)

Cheers Andy

Yeah I think that was the one I'd seen around, they look part Albino with the matching red eyes but the overall body colour wasn't quite as full on red as the Firefish, more a pink colour.

As AI do not usually use color enhancers except maybe color bits, the pinkish look is from the color washing out already. Who knows anymore with some of the fishthat are being imported and the origins in which they come. I dont get involved with these things anymore, only ever bought 1 lot of dragon blood males just to see what the fuss was about.

Within 4 weeks most of the color was gone and quite a few where females could tell from the anal fin straight away.

So draw your own conclusion as to what they are linebred i think not. :)

• 1 month later...

i had a 6" male who was a pinky red with a beautiful purple sheen he is one of the best i have seen.

i recently had to remove him from my all male peacock/hap tank due to him beeing so aggressive.

i have hear many reports that these fish is very aggressive for a peacock i had him in a 180 gallon.

They are here,

Aulonocara fire fish is the name....

just another hyped up, cross bred, colour fed, man made mongrel to fleece the 'must have designer pet' 'flavour of the month pet' people of their money. stop feeding it 'pink pidgeon' fish food and watch it lose it's colour :lol3: