a couple of pics of my new additions

Sarah

these guys i got from a new LFS off Chappel St Melbourne ive been after them for some time, there are 7 in total , this was the best macro shot i could manage with my Panasonic Lumix Fz 30 , i just cant figure out how to get an even closer shot,

IPB Image

IPB Image

cheers

thanks Guys for the kind comments !

yeah they tend to rest a lot due to their poor swim bladders whether its on a rock or the sand , all i hope is they dont kill each other as i have heard they can be quite vicious with each other and these reside in a standard 4ft currently with 30 tiny dimi fry , 3 gold comps and 3 leptos oh and a couple of maingano fry, they will eventually have their own tank , i wouldnt mind putting them in my planted catty tank but if my L104 or peppermints ever decide to breed i dont want them eating their babies .

They are normally solitary fish except when they are breeding.

Their natural habitat is in amongst rocky outcrops in strong currents. They reside in the eddies that the form around these rocks.

In the aquarium you don't need a high flow rate but you do need a high level of oxygen in the water.

hi Ged

i have lots of hiding places most of these are clay pots and some rocks, the tank is being filtered by an aqua clear, 2 super corner filters (larger then the box filter) and a internal rio , i have read quite a bit about them and when they get a bit bigger and look like they might have paired up i will then split them, and perhaps just keep 2 pairs in the 4ft , do you keep them, ive kept lionheads and could only keep one pair in a 3ft with nothing else

cheers

I have also kept Lionheads but love the look of S tinanti. I think I have a fantastic article floating around somewhere that you may be interested in. I will try and find it and send you a copy.

Gerard

Nice Sarah...I have 3 breeding pairs that produce upwards of 100 fry every 6 weeks or so. But there seems to be little interest in them over here, so the majority of the fry are left in the tank to be devoured eventually by the parents :(

Andrea :)

Hi Glenn and Andrea

mine are only 5-6cm i havent really found anyone selling them here privately those i know of that have them only got them in the last year or so , so still fairly new here in Melbourne, well i like em so even if i find no demand for their offspring i will just follow in your footsteps Andrea, what size tank do you have them in

Sarah the tank is around 3.5' x 2' x 15" and divided into 3 compartments (each pair has a cmpartment. They are kept under Malawi conditions (limestone, a breeding shell and beach sand) with a piece of wood and some plants. They are only filtered with those blue corner air driven sponges. That's it!

Andrea :)

Archived