Green Terrors

Lepperfish

Hi all, after keeping africans for a couple of years now I have decided I would maybe like to try my hand at some american cichlids.

Would it be ok to keep a male green terror approx 15cm in a 4x18widex20 high tank?

Im not really interested in tank mates for this 'terror', do they get along Ok by themselves or do they need something to interact with?

I understand they can get quite aggressive to others, especially other green terrors.

Also read they can handle hard and soft water parameters (ph 6.5-8.0). I was thinking about having a neutral ph of around 7.0. What ph levels are others using with this cichlid?

Anything else I should know about or any useful tips for this cichlid would be appreciated.

Thanks guys, :)

hrm, that tank is *just* the minimum size where you could realisticly keep a pair - a single male won't be a drama, though he might get bored.

If you don't want him to breed then maybe add in something like convicts & give them a pile of rocks to swim through (as you would with mbuna) at one end of the tank & just give him a large terracotta pot or hollow log if you can get one big enough that still fits in the tank at the other end. That way they'll both have territorys yet make each other feel comfortable.

I'd only suggest a group of smaller cichlids as the dithers/targets for him in that size tank though - with something his size theres the risk that one of them might turn around & shred the other one in closed quarters - the convicts can hold their own no problem & are small enough to not really hurt him & for you to provide refuge from him just in case. If it was a 4x2x2 I'd suggest two pairs of fish, perhaps GTs with Severums?

Regarding pH, just use whatever hardness your tap water is, don't mess with buffers at all.

Also, get him used to you. stick your hand in he tank while you feed him so he associates you with food. then it'll take less time to get him to eat from your hand or let you pat him.

I assume the totally different owner interaction americans have is what's prompted the switch?

Thanks for the info Ash.. I'll still have a 4x2x2 tank full of mbuna so its not a total change over. My mbuna eat right out of my hand and let me pat them!

I've always liked green terrors and I have access to a beautiful male so I think it may be time to setup a tank for him.

I'm happy for him to be in there on his own but don't want the fish to get bored or be unhappy either.

I have a nice pair of green terrors. They are such nice fish. As it was said before, they get used to you fairly qucikly. I have a breeding pair and they are interestig to watch.

In terms of ph, they pretty much like anything. I only put a bit of ph down to our Sydney tap water.

But the best thing to do would be to check what ph it is currently used to so it doesn;t have too much of shock when you get him home.

You won't regret having him:)

Im trying to breed them at the moment in a tank that size. They haven't spawned yet though, They have only been in the tank for approx 1 month though.. Im thinking of getting another female as the male looks really keen but the female keeps swimming away from him.

pretty sure, I bought them around the same time and the male is double the size and has developed a nice hump. The female(i think) is smaller and not as colourful, both are approx 1 year old and have been living in a display tank together(they never hung around together) I put them in the 4 foot by themselves and played lots of romantic love making music but no action so far <Grin> My red bay snooks on the tank above them on the same rack/sump have spawned already though and are going well so im pretty sure the water etc is all good, I cycled the tanks for 1 month before I put them in.

I got my Green terror pair and 3 weeks later they had fry.

I noticed that the male would shake to her and she would flare her gills at him, but they would only do that when they happened to swim past each other. Givving each other the occasional nip or two.

This is now their 3rd batch and the same things happen. They don;t seem very interested in each other before spawns, it's not like they swim together, but when they happen to swim past each other this little performance occurs.

They are only young and the male is about 10 cm and female about 7. So things might change a bit.

I have heard of others having similar and also very different experiences, so it might just depedn on the pair.

Just make sure you have a pair :thumb

Good luck :)

Archived