How many tropheus can you keep...

Guest parallel

My six footer, is not a standared with being 2 foot wide, and 2'7" high. I've got over 50 in there now through breeding increases.

I have never lost a fish through aggression, have only ever taken one adult male out due to not being happy with his colour.

Since I moved them (at Christmas time) to this tank, I don't even see stray scales now.

Tropheus are a fish that do better with numbers. But you have to make sure the filtration is up to it.

So perhaps you should be enquiring as to the sort of filtration you will need on a standard six foot tank with 30 fish in there?

Craig

Guest parallel

Craig,

I'll be running 1500lt canister and 1000lt canister in the 6fter and internal filter as well.

What do you think?

Cheers

Parallel

U want to be able to filter your entire water volume (~450L) around 8-10 times/hour --- 3600-4500lph!!!

However, i think regular 50% water changes is more important. Just check your nitrate levels before each water change and if it is too high then u need more filtration. I know some people who only use air driven filtration for there Ts and they are breeding and doing fine!!!

U want to be able to filter your entire water volume (~450L) around 8-10 times/hour --- 3600-4500lph!!!

Poor exhausted T's <_< too tired to do much else to any great degree I would imagine.

I too believe in the power of 50% water changes weekly :thumbup:

Cheers

Guest parallel

in my 5 foot aquaone tank i have 4 Eheim Pro2, 1 Eheim 2217, overhead trickle filter 1600lph, UV clarifier and Aqua Medic sulphur/hydrocarbon filter.

Um...how many T's are in your 5 foot?

Cheers

Most of our 6' T tanks are air driven delivering 1500-2000lph :) combined with 50% changes each week.

All T variants's are fit and happy, well fed on spirulina and algae, although I am doing a study on T fry and Cyclops-eze, and doing the deed at every chance :)

To each their own :thumbup:

Cheers

Guest parallel

Most of our 6' T tanks are air driven delivering 1500-2000lph :) combined with 50% changes each week.

All T variants's are fit and happy, well fed on spirulina and algae, although I am doing a study on T fry and Cyclops-eze, and doing the deed at every chance :)

To each their own :thumbup:

Cheers

what is your largest size colony in the 6 foot?

Cheers

Parallel....i have 11 wildcaught adult GK and about 30 juveniles (and growing) at various stages of development in my 5 footer.

Air driven filtration is probably an option if u have many tanks where having canister filtration for each tank would be very costly.

I think if u have a few tanks u should go with the canister option or even better have a sump/mini reef filtration. In my 4 footer with tank and sump total volume of 400L i have a minireef running at 2800lph, a Eheim Pro 2, Fluval FX5, Aqua medic sulphur/hydrocarbon nitrate filter and UV clarifier. I forgot to mention, all my tanks have AC/DC driven air pump filtration as well :shock: in case there is a blackout.

What i am doing is a little over the top but i think at a minimum u should have at least 2 canister filters or 1 canister and one HOB (ie aquaclear). But as i said before, regular water changes is the key!!

I know Jim uses fluidised bed filters on his larger tropheus tanks.

hth

Dave

in my 5 foot aquaone tank i have 4 Eheim Pro2, 1 Eheim 2217, overhead trickle filter 1600lph, UV clarifier and Aqua Medic sulphur/hydrocarbon filter.

did I read that correctly? 5??? eheim filters ???? plus the other 3 ????

mpimbwe pete....yes u read correctly!

In my 400L 4 foot curve tank i have minireef 2800lph, Eheim Pro II, Fluval FX5, UV clarifier and Aquamedic nitrate filter plus an AC/DC air pump driven filter!!!!

I don't recommend anyone doing the same. I just went a little overboard and No, i don't work for Eheim!!!

Archived