Aqua Nova Canister Filter

kilroy

Hi,

I recently purchased an Aqua Nova 1500 canister filter. It has been up and running for about 2 weeks with no dramas.

It is my first canister filter and the only directions that came with it was about a dozen lines on the side of the box. There were no instructions about maintenance etc.

My question is, how do you go about draining the filter when you go to add or replace media inside it?

My friend Google cannot even find Aqua Nova filters let alone instructions

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :dntknw:

Cheers

shane

Guest parallel

I am about to get one myself just out of curiosity, if you have to rate it out of 10 what would you give it?

Cheers

Parallel

Being that it's my first one, I don't know how well qualified I am to rate it. It is nice and quiet surprisingly. It came with all the media, although I did pack a fair bit more in there. The additional filtration has certainly cleaned up my water :)

On the plus side, they are cheap. On the minus side, very limited instructions or info available on the net.

Hi Shane...looks very similar to Aqua One, Pro Aqua ...probably all from same factory...I just do this:

1. Turn power off

2 Turn taps off.

3 Uncouple hoses.

4. Carry whole canister to sink/bucket

5. unclip top/pump housing.

6. remove media holders.

you can pour out the water into a bucket or sink and wash the media in that...return the canister to the tank, couple up and the water should syphon in when you turn on the taps...wait till all bubbles stop at outlet in tank...I always give the canister a shake at this point to expel any air trapped inside then turn on the power. Should be all sweet.... Bless ya ...Peter

Thanks Peter,

Looks fairly simple except step 2. Turn taps off.

I'm not sure there is a way to turn the taps off. I know there is a release for removing the outlet assembly, but I don't think there is a button or tap on the whole thing :dntknw:

Cheers

Shane

Actually on second thoughts do the hoses just uncouple or do they unplug as a unit...could be they are like the early version of Fluval...which when the pipe coupling unit is removed actualy blocks the pipes with spring loaded valves???

Peter

That makes sense. No wonder they are cheap!!

Like the old saying, you get what you pay for!!

Will have to get some taps tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane ...have re edited post as I had another thought as I posted....Peter

Found pic on the net and looking at it I would think that it is as suggested in the redited post....Bless ya ...

Peter

Kilroy

Ive had a 1200 lph for nine months I filled one basket with seachem Matrix and throw the carbon .It needed a bit of priming to start to clear the air lock Ive found filling buy sucking in on the outlet so the water fills from the bottom of the canister then blocking the end under water with one hand and move the canister from one side to side with the other so any entrapped air rises before it fills then flick the switch .If it still cavitates turn on and off 5-10 second intervals so the air escapes .The centre has a big round button you can try to prime the air out by depressing the centre but Ive found it still makes noise till you turn it off to let the air to rise and pass the impeller, you shouldn"t be able to here it running . Just make sure the hoses dont kink they are flimsy and the first night stopped flow when it kinked .The ceramic shaft didnt wear and the motor was hot to touch. I placed a second tube over the area that wants to kink and it has been fine since .You could always cut the tubing to length so it cant .I like the flexability to move it from one tank to another so left it long .

Mine uses 20watts which is cheap to run does the 1500 have a wattage on the motor or box ? I wouldnt mind buying another one down the track.

hi Shane

you don't need taps for these filters. when you lift up the lever at the base of where the hose coupling fits into the pump housing, the water is shut off from the hoses. no need to restart the syphon, just reconnect the hoses, lock them in and push the lever back down. the flow from the tank will automatically start. great filters, depending on the bio load they may need frequent cleaning. but then, they're doing their job

cheers; Colin

Colin

You are a genius! Just took the carbon out and replaced it with media in a couple of minutes. Works like a charm. Not even a drop spilt!!!

Am now very impressed with the ease of this filter. Pity they didn't include an instruction manual with the box :confused:

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Shane

Kilroy

Mine uses 20watts which is cheap to run does the 1500 have a wattage on the motor or box ? I wouldnt mind buying another one down the track.

Neil,

Just checked the unit. Guess what? Also runs at 20 watts. Gotta love that :):)

Cheers mate

Shane

Archived