Feeding Switch

topline

Hi

I'm after an electrical switch that is normally ON, and when pressed, turns OFF for about 5 minutes. There are switches available (like seen in many public toilets on the light switch) that when pressed stay ON for a few minutes but I'd like to be able to push 1 switch that would turn the filters off for a few minutes while fish eat and the it would turn filters back on (less chance of me forgetting to turn them back on of done manually).

Is such an item available commercially? It would have to be 240v safe and suit max 300W for the filters.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Brian

if you feed at a set time daily you could use a timer, cheap as!

Why do you have to turn off the filter?

Hi Ash

Thers is no way I could feed at the exact time daily.

I would like the filters to turn off so that as much food as possible lands up in the fishes bellies and not any bieng sucked up into the filters where it contributes to water quality far more than if it passes through the fish first.

I also dont like seeing the food "blown" all over the tank. I find that if I feed in one section of the tank, it encourages competition for the food and the fish eat better. If it is all just floating around I find it takes them longer to polish it all up and they eat with less enthusiasim.

I could just turn off the power board switches but know that one day I'll forget to turn them back on again. The Tunze system controller for multiple powerheads includes a feeding switch but its pretty expensive at 52 Euro plus postage.

Cheers

Have you tried a large electrical wholesaler?

If they have never heard of it, it may not be available.

If you can find one of the toilet ones, it would probably be easy to re-wire it to work the opposite way.

disclaimer: I'm in no way suggesting you do this yourself unless you have technical training as an electrician.....

if you want to turn it off the best and easiest way IS with the timer switch Ash suggested. Don't need to wait for it, simply have it set for on for most of the day and off for the time you want it off. The trick to it is to wind it forward to off when you feed the fish each time. The timer will switch it all back on when the time is up. The next day, wind it forward again etc.

If you leave it longer than 24hrs between feeds, then your filter might turn off again, but if you have it for the shortest setting, which might be around 5 mins, then it should still be all good again when you wind it forward.

I thought about that a little after I'd posted but wasn't near a PC to post it, great idea Samma3l

I read this thread yesterday, but didn't add anything to it. It's been on my mind that I hate the thought of having to intermittently turn off a filter for anything other than a filter clean. It strikes me as....not the first choice to decide upon.

If I understand correctly, you are concerned about the fish food swirling around your tank and going into the filter outlet?

If this is correct, I assume that you are feeding some sort of flake food? If this is so, then it would be a very simple matter to change over to a pellet (NLS), which won't be as affected by currents as flake food is.

Craig

sinking pellets in general suffer less from filters "eating" them before the fish - I used to use floating Hikari cichlid gold & there was always some sucked down into the sump. If I fed few at a time only the biggest fish got a feed, dump in enough for everyone & the filter got a share too.

Sinking pellets are way better in this regard IMO

I reckon this is what you'd be after.

http://www.clipsal.com/trade/__data/page/81/A4.pdf

You'd have to hard wire it to a dedicated powerpoint and check out the comment about minimum load ratings.

Here's a pic of the switch I use for the room lights in my fish room while we're on the topic of timers. It's hardwired in. Works very well.

IPB Image

Cheers

Matt

Archived