adding iron

Neil

If I was to add steel filings to substrate would this be beneficial to add iron in a tank with red tiger lilys?

thanks

Neil

I could be totally wrong but i think most steel will be quite unreactive so would not supply iron plus there may be other trace metals in steel that you would not want in the tank.

I put half a teaspoon in the other day funnilly enough some floated around the surface (they were fillings of straight mild steel ) off the top of vice ,pure as, only time will tell now .The tank is only plants so Im not concern about fish health in this tank.

coal, limestone, iron ore, pretty basic elements I thought

Neil

I suppose if there is no fish then you dont need to worry about that. I thought that most steel will remain mostly unreacvtive in water and will not, therefore, add to the water chemistry.

Also, many steels contain a large amount of manganese and/or aluminium which, if made free to plant uptake, can be quite toxic in too high a concentration. I am not sure if this applies to aquatic plants in the same way as terrestrial plants though.

I would be really concerned about this. If you're adding it to your substrate what is stopping the fish from digging it up and choking/cutting themselves on it? What is the dissolvability of steel filings?

No offence but this seems like a fairly silly way to cut corners especially considering the risks. Go to BigW or Bunnings and you can get a $10 packet of chelated iron and add this to your tank yourself. Cheap and very effective. Or even buy something like Seachems Flourish Iron, great product and cheap from some online suppliers.

A lot safer in the longrun.

As Pailpatine said, k mart or big w sell the fern skikes and they are much less than $10. I paid $2.99 from Kmart a year ago for a pack of 24 I think. Just break off half a spike and bury it under root feeders like Tiger Lotus and they should 'spring' to life. Worked for me.

Archived